Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt Neil

Opinions wanted, broken rods

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am talking surf rods for this thread. I should not have wrote that as this is a surf casting haven. Just wanted to be precise.

Anyhow, rods break, a fact of life. Synthetic line is also a factor in rods breaking. Fishermen abuse is the biggest factor in my estimation.

Now, I feel that something else is happening. I have no way to prove this theory. Listening to surf casters and their laments about broken rods I have noticed that old standby rods are beginning to break. Rods that you rarely if never heard breaking, first and second generation graphite. The durable rods!

I am wondering if the heavy usage with synthetic line is wearing these rods down and eventually breakage.

I am interested in all opinions, especially if you have noticed this also.

Thanks,

Capt Neil Faulkner

I would have to say it isn't so much the braid as it is fisherman error. Hooksets and fish runs can feel violent with braided line and many probably have not adjusted hook setting and fish fighting techniques to compensate for the lack of stretch in their line. I can see high modulus rapid taper rods giving in to braided line,there is little room for error when pairing braid to such rods. Also hear more stories about straightened hooks on small fish than I've ever heard before, again IMO a combination of braid and operator error.

Too much high sticking lately. I see it everywhere. I think people get it from watching the freshwater fishing shows with guys fishing from a boat with very light rods. They imitate the rod way high and straight up and the heavier surf rods break.

People should learn that they have no power if they high stick the rod and also the chance pof breakage goes way up.

Worst case , high sticking the rod while setting the hook with braid. Pow!!

Hi,

Great answers. All these things are happening.

What I am concerned about is the rods that have been in service for years with no problems. Now some are starting to break. My concern is this. Is the use of synthetic line over a long period causing a fatigue breakdown in the blank materials?

Capt Neil

I wouldn't blame that on braid, as the rod will bend the same whether using Mono or braid, no? Maybe indirectly braid is partially responsible, as the capability to use tighter drags can overstress teh blank over a long period of time. AS well as teh high sticking ith too tight a drag over a long period of time.

I know 100% solid glass rods do weaken over time. There was one sitting on a boat, in front of a heater for a month with a jacket hanging on it. The other day it was cold & someone took the jacket off the rod - it had a permanent bend in it, like a 25 degree bend, lol. Somoene bent the rod, and it instantly broke. HEat combined with constant stress broke a solid glass boat rod, so who knows what is possible with hollow glass or hollow graphite.

I have the blank in my basement, both pieces. PRetty funny to see the rod bend in that shape.

neil, i think the single most likely reason is braid. although, i do see more people "highsticking" and/or lifting fish w/ their rods, which always seems to find the stress point fast. but, braid and tight drags lead to some serious stress on the blank. before, the line took a lot of the stress in fighting fish and casting. now, since the line doesn't stretch, the stress goes to others areas - hooks and, worse case, blanks. i've used both mon and braid and i see myself using a tighter drag w/ braid even tho' i know i shouldn't. when i cast a braided lined reel i hear the drag turn a couple times during the loading while i cast. i never heard that with mono. it just tells you how much mono stretches when you load and cast a rod. this is especially true with surfcasting rods. now, you take a fast action rod combined w/ braid and a tight drag and i think that is a recipe for broken rods. i try and tell my customers to ease up on the drag w/ braid, but you know how far that gets. maybe some people will start going back to glass or move to tri-flex-type blanks. i wish lami would introdue more in this lineup. i'd like to see a csb1201mh or csb1321m blank.

I understand the theory of graphite + braid + tight drag = broken rod or broken or bent hooks. It is possible that it could contribute to a rod breaking. However, ive never seen it happen so I cant say for sure. Im sure that most of the rods that are broken are broken in car doors or on jetty tips, etc... most guys wont own up to it... LOL

Rods have a service life, they get weaker over time as the micro bonds between the fibers and resin breakdown through use and abuse.

My favorite trout flyrod has gotten so soft that I feel it bend into the grip when I cast icon25.gif Also, the longer you use a rod, the more opportunties for a nick to develop into crack, a poorly prepped guide to rub, etc.

Because of the no-stretch properties of braid I have seen folks trying to lift snags, rather than using the "point the rod at the snag and pull staight" technique that mono required.

IMHO, braid isn't the boogey man, ignorance is.

gad

I have to throw in my $.02. The lack of stretch of braided line and the fact that many people are using a higher test line (30# or 50# braid as opposed to 20# mono) combined with a tighter drag setting at some point is going to end up with a broken rod. Until reading some of the other replies I had never given any thought to lack of stretch "on the cast" and the faft that the drag setting might need to be tighter just to avoid spinng the spool during the cast.

Again just my $.02

Tony

i think people are just pushing there rods too much. lifting a 20" schoolie on a 10' heavy plug rod is one thing, but a 15 lb. fish is another. also, carelessness while transporting! i cringe when i see rod tips sticking out windows, bouncing on the glass. nicks nicks nicks! good cod rod all of a sudden. really, braid shouldn't be a problem at all in the next few years. we already see reels being designed around braid, i'm sure rod designers are figuring out what to fix in those one in a million rods that break.

by the way, i should note, i've never broken a rod. i use braid, but no high sticking or sticking rods out windows or lifting big fish out of water or using dinky rods.