Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

loomis str1025?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Yup... I built one last year. Super soft blank which bends right down to reel seat. I would say max is 1.75 to 2 and that's pushing it. It's ideal for .5 to

1. It's a nice super light blank. My only negative is it really doesn't have enough backbone when setting the hook.

I assume the blank is IMX? That's the one I got.

Just a tip, many "steelhead" blanks are of the "noodle" variety i.e. super slow to protect light leaders. They are generally fished more like a nymphing flyrod than cast like a surf rod.

gad

i don't know much about noodling and nymphing... not sure either is legal here in NC!! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input.. what i don't want is something that loads to the reelseat... i've had one good and one bad experience with steelhead blanks in the past...

Gad's exactly right...

Mine will definitely cast 1 a long way. I Know IMX is supposed to be a higher strain graphite than gl2 which would make it lighter and stiffer, but I can't imagine the gl2 could be any more limber.

thanks Bob.. I did that already... I just always prefer people's opinions who have used the rod than the MFG! Not that the manufacturers don't use them.. but typically the folks here rate them a little tighter in range than the mfg. wink.gif

I am thinking about wrapping a noodle rod for steelhead in March. Does anyone have any experience with guide sizes and placment from the tip down the blank? This will be my 3rd ever rod wrapped and I am still trying to figure things out.

Thanks for any assitance.

- ATG

ATG,

Are you looking to make a spinner or a conventional?

You will want a few more guides on a noodle either way. Soft rods need to have the load spread evenly so you don't fold the blank and break it.

You are going to love this stuff though. It's great fun!