Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnthonyT

1209 Conventional

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am considering building an Al Star or Rainbow 1209 based conventional for those days when more than 4 oz is needed. Probably in the 6-8oz, since my spinning gear is lighter, to dunk clams/chunk in the LBI surf.

For those who know of the blank, is this a nice blank for a conventional for those heavier days.

Any others to consider... a one piece is fine for me. I have an Avet that I will be placing on the blank.

Also, how do you have it set-up regarding guides and spacing ?

Is there a place in NJ to pick a blank up ?

Thanks in advance,

AnthonyT

Anthony,

You may have the best blank for what you described IMHO. I have two set up exactly the way you listed right down to the reel. These rods cover the wieght nicely. They are also a great addition if you need a rod that will thorw 6 - 8 or even 10 and bait into the wind. Much less wind resistance on the blank over the normal 11'9" or 12'6" heavers. Distance dosen't suffer that much. Overall a great short heaver.

These also work extremely well throwing heavy bucktails into strong currents. And when you hook a large bass you have backbone to spare. I can't say enough good things about these rods. In fact when someone wants ashort heaver or heavy bucktail rod this is what I reccomend. I have built maybe 20 in the passed three years. No complaints.

Send me a PM and I'll be glad to give you my guide selection and spacing. As far as picking the balnk up in NJ I'm not sure. In the PM I'll go into where I get my breakaway balnks. Also the rainshadows. These blanks are identical to the breakaways, just built on new mandrels. Good luck I think your making the right choice.

Just one more endorsement for the 1209 breakaway..

One thing pointed out above that is a BIG factor where I fish is the lower "wind resistance" of the shorter rod... Where I fish a lot (Cape Point) the wind is ever present.. I gotta tell you that with good technique and a long drop, that little rod will keep up with most of the 12' heavers out there... It's also feather light for a rod so powerful.. only downside to me is that it's not my favorite rod to fight a fish on, due to the stout nature of the blank.. but then again, nothing lighter in action would do what it will with 6-10 oz...

Everyone, thank you for the great info. and endorsements on the rod.. This rod seems to be on my future build list. Invariably, LBI is always windy, especially down in Holgate that also has the big currents, so this may be a match made in heaven.

This may be a stupid question, in a matter of fact I am sure it is cwm15.gif , but I need to ask since the term has never crossed my path before.

Why the "breakaway" designation ? I am not sure what that means... this is a one piece blank correct ?

AnthonyT

Breakaway is a factory rod (Nick Meyers version) made on certain of the Allstar blanks mentioned. Not all Allstars are Breakaways. Sometimes the butt lengths on Breakaways are longer than what people around here normally use. They are taylored for long casting , not necessarily what you want when perched on a 9 inch round rock. Some people just love the very long butt handles. everyone has their own taste.

Everyone.... Thank you for all the insights..

Another question.. If I was to top out at 8oz, would this still be the blank ?

In the meantime, it is time to mag the Avet and thanks for the advice there also...

AnthonyT

8 oz is a walk in the park for an All Star 1209.

I couldn't get any distance out of mine throwing 3 oz bucktails. It starts to come around at 4-5 oz. You can cast 6 oz with total confidence. I never found the upper limit before selling mine.