Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stringman

Surf rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al, Getting ready to build a Hatteras bait rod from a gsb1321m blank. It will be a conventional rod using either an ABU 6500CS Rocket with 15# mono or a magged Penn squidder with 20# mono. How about some recommendatons on type of guides and spacing. Thanks

String,

Nice blank. I would recommend the Fuji

HNSG(SIC) or the BHNLG(Hardaloy) both with a UST SIC tip in the following sizes:

20,16,16,12,12,10,10,10,10 plus the tip.

As far as spacing, the #20 Stripper should be approximately 26 inches from the center of the reelseat. The first #10 guide should be 5 inches from the tip measured from ring to ring. Space the remaining guides in 1/2-3/4 inch increasing intervals toward the butt. E.g. 5.0,5.5,6.0. 6.5, 7.25, 8, etc.

Tape the guides in place and do a stress distribution test as well as a few casts. Adjust the guide spacing as needed.

Good Luck.

Al

Al,

Quick ? for ya about taping the guides in place. I'm building a rod right now and cannot keep the guides on top of the rod. What type of tape do you use. I'm using standard masking tape and all they do is spin under the blank every time I try and do the stress dist. test.

Sorry about the stupid ? but it is getting me pissed off.

Thanks

Mike Apter

Al,

Thanks again for for your input on guides and spacing. Placed my order for the guides today, got to finish it quick. I can hear the October red drum and November stripers calling me from Oregon Inlet.

Tightlines and large hungry fish,

Lynn