Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

GuideReccs GSB 1321M

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I am building a new ditch jig spinning rod.

It is a GSB 1321M with six inches cut from the tip.

I am thinking 5 guides. How does this sound?

40HH, 30HH, 25HH, 20HH, 16HH

Thanks!!!!

Stroth

This is how I'm rebuilding mine. It's full length and I'm using braid.

40HH

30H

25 (regular BSVLG from here out)

20 tip.

Or I would suggest the last guide as a 16 with a 16 tip.

The problem with the high frames is that the height of the smaller ones is almost that of the larger sizes. If you don't make the switch to the regular guides the transition from last guide to the tip is horrendous.

I've had the rod wrapped with both the regular and high frame guides and have not noticed any real increase/decrease in casting distance between the two. I prefer the hi-frame because they help keep the line from slapping the blank before the first guide.

My $0.02.

okay 6 inches moon.gif

good tips...i had a similar experience bulding a 1209. i had to put a couple regular guides instead of the high frame ones.

also the high frame ones are almost twice as much...

i am looking to build it with sics. i got a gift certificate i need to burn!!

I am cutting mine back 6 inches so I'm going to have to guess on the tip size.

For some reason it is a real PIA for me to get accurate tip measures...what am I doing wrong?

Anyone know the tip size for this rod with six inches cut from the tip biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I like surfrat's set up better. No need for a 30H after a 40HH. I typical use 40HH 25H 20M 16L and a BSVLG16 and a 16 top if possible. The max height of each guide in this set up is actually the same, or very close to surfrat's.

Stroth, I fyou are intent on cutting the 6" off a 12 tube size will fit. I have a blank here at the shop and that what it measures. It was good meeting you at "Nerds" last week

Ed: Great to meet you to! I learned a ton at NERDS even though I was most likely the worst builder there biggrin.gif Where is your shop? I need to come by!!

As for cutting six inches off of the tip. This seems to astound some builders out there, because I have gotten several PM's and other emails as to why.

Basically I am looking for a lighter all star 1209, something that can throw 4-5 oz. but flex through the middle of the rod. The 1209 is THE ditch jigging rod, but sometimes it is a little too stiff for what I want to do. I need to cut the tip, because it has to be able to lift 4 or 5 oz in a wicked current.

I know of at least two other rabid ditch fishers who have this rod with six inches cut off of the tip and absolutely love it.

It will be a little easier to cast and a little more forgiving. The 1209 does not seem to load that well under 5 oz.

I hear what you are saying on the guides and I think you are all one hundred percent right. I had a really hard time getting the guides on my 1209 set up right when I did a stress test. I ended up going all the way down to a 12 bsvlg to get it right.

What I really need is access to at least two dozen guides at a time wink.gif then I could make it work.

clapping.gifclapping.gif

Thanks so much for the helpful replies!

With regard to the guides, I have been using the Fuji Alconite BMNAG guides on my rods and like them very much. For a large tip rod the Fuji Silicon Nitride tips BHNNT work well. As far as the set up, I use a 40, 25, 16 12 and then 10's out to the tip and a 12 tip. I set the rod up as a modified "concept" style and stress test it so that the line follows the arc of the blank closely. I have several rods set up this way and I believe that it works great. I use a Daiwa Emblem ZA or a Penn 706Z with the big rods and have not had a problem with line slap with this set up.

I hear you with regard to the 1209. I am in a constant search for an alternative, as I do not enjoy fighting a fish with the 1209. The modified 1321M you are describing sounds like a great idea.

Going out on a limb again...you may want to at least TRY a 25 stripper guide 36 to 40" away from the real seat, then go 20,16,12's 16 ring tip. The Nerds test casting thing in NJ really floored me on a similar set up on a 9 footer. Would it work in this situation...could hurt to try.

Rapt, was this the blank I saw at NERDS that only had the single stripper guide in place? I was interested in that set up but with all that was going on I didn't have a chance to talk to you about it. If memory serves, was this being wrapped to accomodate both spinning and conventional?

RaptTite, now this is some sort of strange karma. I was just about to PM you to see what you tought.

Maddog reminded me of the small guide test you guys did a while back.

I'm going to try it out. What have I got to lose? Also, the smaller guides are like 1/2 the price wink.gif

You mean two 12's on there right? For a total of 5?

I'll let everyone know what I come up with and I'll let anyone try it out at anytime!!!

Thanks!!!!