Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsinbad

Recommendation for Striper blank

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,

I wanna pick your brain for a rod blank to make a striper rod for party boat fishing where they would drift eels along with a fish finder rig and a 6 oz sinker. The reel I would use is a Shimano TRN 200G with 35lb Tuf-Line and about 10-12 ft of 20 mono shock leader.

I was thinking of using a GX8 (because it has a slower action) and cutting the top down to 7 feet to increase the line handling. As a result, the fish will fight the action of the rod by pulling it down and, thereby, shortening the rod length it has to use as leverage againt me and at the same time I can keep the tension on the fish.

Do you think this is OK? What else would you suggest?

Mr Sinbad,

I really need to know where you will be fishing and the current speed. The GX8 is a great blank, but it would be a shame to trim it that far back.

There are several other blanks I can recommend when you give me the info I am asking.

Al

Thanks Al,

I fish mostly from Captree on the Susan Ann. I usually plan my trips so that I'm out on the water during the falling tide. We fish mostly in the bay. I don't know the speed of the tide, but it moves at a pretty good clip where 20lb Ande Pink with a 6 oz sinker was barely holding bottom and bouncing along. I am able to keep it on the bottom when I freespool the reel. I have switched over to Tuf-Line because of the smaller cross section.

If cutting the GX8 from the tip is too drastic, I could cut from the butt also. I understand it's a shame to do that much cutting, but I like the overall flex I described earlier but I need a more powerful tip section while keeping it close to 7'.

Thanks so much for your time.

Here are three other blanks for you to look at.

Calstar GF700XL

Seeker CLB708

Seeker CBW658

The first two are seven feet and the third is 6.5 feet. All are composite blanks and are in my personal arsenal of rods.

Al

Please Check you PM

I used to use a 700L with 6" cut from the butt. Worked great with 30# and a Trinidad. Too easy. Now I use a ridiculously light Loomis muskie rod and am on a quest to find a tiny Abu reel and load it up with braid.

For Captree, I'd go with a longer stick. Sometimes you need to pitch the eel at the bridge or the dock from the bow. And then there is that other spot on the flats where you need to run to the stern and let out a couple hundred feet while the boat is turning. And then walk your line over everyone else's. Weird place to eel. Montauk is so much simpler smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 11-08-2001).]