Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterk

plate reel seats

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Do any of you guys use these or are they worthless and is it just as good to clamp your reel to handle? I am thinking of building a rod and not sliding a reel seat on the blank. Bad idea?

I tried it with a 9' fisher and I didnt like it much. The idea of moving the reel seat from a pluggin to a bait fishin position seemed cool, but only in hindsight. Way too much wobble IMHO. I ended up wrappin the seat over the cork tape to hold it in place. Two years later, Im still happy I did it.

Pete I will be at the club this weekend I'l show you some really nice ideas in clamps. All the rods I build for people always get a seat unless otherwise told not to. Big Dave

Look forward to seeing what you have Dave. By the way, how did you guys do saturday night/sunday morning. I caught two, both only about 32 inches. Moved around and tried some new spots but did not have much luck. Found some nice bottoms though.

Peter, I use plates on a few rods. Some love em, some hate em. If you put it on correctly, they are very functional with no more wobble than a regular fuji seat.