Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bass130

Quick Grip/shrink wrap

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Looked a electrical shrink wrap to use on some new surf rods I'm building instead of quick grip which is more expensive.There are many types,some are thicker which I like. Can I substitute any of these shrink wraps for the grip?

I built a couple of rods using electrical shrink wrap a few years ago. My plan was to never again have to replace the grip. That part of the plan worked out real well. The stuff puts up with a lot of abuse. But, it gets slippery. I now wrap 'rod wrap' (available through bass pro shops and elsewhere)over the shrink tube on the foregrip and just behind the reel. It holds up reasonably well and really adds grip. It looks like 2-3 seasons is all I'll get out of it. I secure it with electrical tape. Replacement take just a couple of minutes.

I'm experimenting with tennis rod wrap now. If you see someone out there with BRIGHT blue wraps, you've found me.

Bob

I like the rod wrap idea, as the grip does get slippery and is a bit small in diameter .I thought it might work to put something under the shrink wrap to increase the diameter of the fore grip. I'm wondering if any of the shrink wraps are OK.Which one is Quick Grip.

Quick Grip is neoprene heat shrink and it doesn't really get too slippery with fish goo and water. Hypalon foam is pretty slippery when wet and slimed too so you have to use some common sense. If you have a big fish on and your hands are slimed, don't hold the rod at the base of the butt grip while running 25 lbs of drag on your International 30 SW loaded with 80 lb braid. JMHO biggrin.gif

BTW, I love the Quick Grip for surf rods. It's not cheap, but it makes a nice grip and you can texture it by wrapping stuff on the blank before sliding the stuff on and shrinking it up.

How do you know what size to order? It says it will shrink a certain percentage. Is this length also or just diameter? Also what are some of the materials that you wrap under it? I am getting ready to roll my first surf rod and need some opionions on grips. Thanks

The shrink ratio refers to diameter, but there is a bit of lateral shrinking too. Just a tad.

As for what stuff goes under it?

If the blank is really thin, I wrap a layer of cork tape to build it up and then use 100 lb mono (cheap thick stuff, like Ande) and then shrink over that. As for the starting diameter?

Find a size that is just big enough to slide on from the butt end after all the build-up and texturizing has been applied.

You can also wrap little bumps of thread or string and get a wavy kind of texture to the grip. Looks a bit funky, but is very grippy.

I still prefer the diamond patter mono wrap under the shrink though.

Have fun rolling that rod!! icon14.gif

Not sure what product the guys above are referring to, "Quick Grip"? I thought that was similar to a tennis racket grip without an adhesive back? I use Amtack flocked shrink tubing on my surf grips. It is a bit pricey compared to regular shrink tube, but I like the flocked affect. The two seperate textures help create a good grip and I find it attractive. I always use a layer of cork tape under it on surf blanks as it is thin and offers the blank very little protection. I haven't used it long enough to know the longevity of it. I have also used it on slick butts when the person had intentions of putting the rod under the arm pit to fight fish. As mentioned above, take your largest OD measurement on the area you intend to cover and purchase accordingly. I use a heat gun, starting at the base of the reel seat, and work my way toward the butt of the rod. Good luck.

Can someone post a couple pictures of this process. Im having trouble figuring out what your talking about. Im looking to build my first rod, and would like to build a surf rod. I figure understanding this method will make my first rod easier biggrin.gif

Thanks

Jeff

I don't have pics of the process, but have a few pics of the finished product. I use cork tape first, epoxy my reel seat, and when all is set, put the shrink tube on over the cork tape. I lay it on so it is just a hair over the edge of the bottom of the seat allowing for the very slight latteral shrinkage that may occur. I slowly start to heat it up from the top and work my way toward the butt. You can stop to move it around, push it up, or push it down. I like to try and line the crosses up with the axis of the rod the angler will see. Hope that helps.

Lamigrip20001_Small_.jpg

Lamigrip20002_Small_.jpg

Hair dryer is a bit cool.

I use either a heat gun or you can do it over a gas stove turned up full blast. You could also use a blow torch, but be really careful. The secret is to use only the heat and keep the flame off the rubber! Play with a scrap and it will become apparent as to what you need to do! icon14.gif