Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff B

Gator Rods

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al, have you encountered "Gator Rods" from Florida? Made by a guy with some German sounding name, can't rememeber what it is. I have heard of them and seen them at a few shows. Just wondering what you know of them and what you think. I believe they use St.Croix blanks.

Thanks wink.gif

------------------

Learn C.P.R.(Catch,Photo,Release)

Jeff B

Gator blanks are made in Florida. The man that you speak of does not construct rods, he only manufactures blanks. I have been using these blanks for a few years. They are made of fiberglass, and are very strong and light. A great rod for live lining from a boat or jetty.

------------------

Tight lines

Eric "Big Swed"

CustomSurfTackle@aol.com

The Gator rod blank company was owned by Guss and located in Miami FL area. The company was sold several months ago. They only made fiberglass blanks. I think Chaos rod company now owns them and are only building there own line of blanks but I'm not sure (they are also located in FL).

Tom McNamara

Mud Hole Custom Tackle http://www.mudhole.com

Ok, I researched this a little more and found out a few things: there may be more than one "Gator Rods" company because what you guys are saying is different than what I just got from a reliable source. They say that Gator Rods are built by a fellow named Dumas Wiercioch in Apopka, Fla. He does all the work custom to your fishing style. He uses St. Croix blanks for the most part and will do glass as well as graphite if you desire. This guy had a sweetwater med spinning rod for jigging that was a 6' blank trimmed to 5'10", nice wrap job, good guides,etc and was done for $85 - $90.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Just rying to get the fact straight since I'm in the market for a new rod (or 2wink.gif ).

Thanks

------------------

Learn C.P.R.(Catch,Photo,Release)

Jeff B

http://www.chaosrods.com/chaos2.html

This guy had a booth at the show at the Nassau Collesium. They have both E-Glass and Graphite rods. He told me that they are the same as (or made by) Star Rods. All his rods are wrapped in Black and Gold, and they look pretty good.

There was another rodbuilder from Florida there - but I can't think of his name. He had a prototype Gator graphite blank he built up as a fluke/Flounder rod. This rod is really unique - he had to ream out the inside of a size 18 Fuji reel seat for it to fit cwm13.gif . He left a 4 inch space between the butt grip and the seat to prove it. The diameter ws really huge!!

Now for the kicker - it had a size 5.5 tip. Sorry I don't know his name, but if you go to the show he's in the last aisle all the way to the left.