Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Longer Vs. Shorter

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

What's the disadvantages of a longer rod vs. a shorter rod? I just went test casting (with my son) an Arra 1204 that was extended to 11 1/2 feet - holy crap soft casts with a 2oz sinker were going damn far. I don't see any reason to cut this down to 11 feet, but if there are disadvantages that come along with a longer rod, I'd like to know (besides poking it into everything)

It's use will be Northern Jersey & SOuth Shore Long Island plugging, and will make a couple of trips to Montauk per year, maybe up into the Cape as well.

Thanks, and sorry if this question has been asked 32 times before.

two "tradeoffs" i'd say for a longer rod.. the positive is definately more distance with less effort...

negatives (both may be minor)

1)this one is obvious but it weighs a little more

2) the fish has more of the advantage in a fight...she's pulling at the end of a longer lever, therefore exerting more pressure on you

------------------

My parents said practice makes perfect... Then when things went wrong they comforted me with "Nobody's perfect".

I have combined their wisdom to form my own slogan..

"Nobody's perfect so why practice!"

I would say one thing is the physical limits of the user. If you can't handle the longer rod do to atrength or stature , you need a shorter rod. A second big thing is where you use it. Very tough to handle a 12 rod when perched on a 1 foot round rock with a bank with bushes behind it!. I also think the application is important. bait chucking where you cast once and let it sit for a while , a long rod can be used. For plugging one cast after another , a shorter rod is better. I think about 10 to 11 feet is the limit for plugging. Just my personal limit though.

Don't forget wind resistance, too. Although this was more of a concern when everyone was using thick-walled fiberglass rods. And 11' rod in a crosswind puts pressure on the tendons in your wrist and elbow that you don't feel until tendonitis develops wink.gif I used to contribute heavily to the IRAs of chiropractors and orthopedists frown.gif

10' is about my limit today for plugging, and I'm 6'2"/200 lbs. Only exception is I use the XRA 1322 for throwing poppers at the Canal, but that is rarely constant casting if you're sight casting at breaking fish.