Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAssasin

Spline Question

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I haven't built alot of rods but I have built a few and they have all come out looking and performing well, not bragging there is a point. When I spine the rod I put the butt end on a smooth, hard surface and roll it between my fingers while bending it, when I feel the pause, jump event I always assumed the spine was at the part of the rod facing me, the inside of the bend. Anyway, someone gave me a book by Mel Marshall, it's an older book copywrite 78'. This guy says the spine would be opposite of where I thought it would be or at the side facing away from me. When you feel the pause or resistence isn't that the spine? I assume that where the overlap is would be the strongest part of the blank. confused.gif

Have I been building 180 degrees to the spine?

[This message has been edited by BassAssasin (edited 07-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BassAssasin (edited 07-12-2001).]

BA,

The Boss is in Montauk, so I'll answer. The spine is the outside of the curve. Depending on if you are building a spinning or conventional rod, and what is most important to you (distance,accuracy,or fish fighting ability) will determine which side you place your guides. Read Al's article on building a custom rod (in the article section). It should give you all the answers.

Phil