Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CMSTRIPER

Channel Lock reel seats

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I like that seat!

Something to consider however is this...

A metal seat is very cold in the hand, puts a bit of a beating on a painted/anodized reel foot and is likely to pit and corrode in the salt. If you are going with a reel seat for a surf rod I use the Fuji seats. Near indestructible, holds a reel tightly and so far (with a rinsing) have not visibly corroded for many years.

Just my 2 cents however and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

CD

p.s. I still have chromed Lakeland seats on a few surf rods from mid 70s!

Gotta agree CM. I fished a chromed brass seat on a white spiral Lami for many years, and it was downright painful in the cold---even with gloves.

I used 704s and didn't sweat the corrosion on the reel foot, but I made sure I sprayed the threads and hoods of the seat with WD-40 regularly. I've seen many metal seats that had seized locking rings from corrosion.

Thanks for the replies.I was looking to do something a little different and was hoping this one wouldn't be the horror the metal seats of old used to be.Any rods I own that have a fixed seat have the Fuji and they are great although I have stripped 1 or 2 by torquing down a little too hard(I'm such a brute rolleyes.gif )

Ditch,

I remember the good ol' days of chromed seats too. frown.gif What a joy they were.You always had to keep Vise grips,water pump pliers and a torch handy whenever you attempted to remove a reel.