Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErikT

Glass :vs: Graphite

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Al,

I feel kinda amteurish asking this but I fish rods not knowing whether they are glass or graphite. I think they are Graphite. The main rods are the Lami xsra1083, ben doerr 10'6 SS106MH2 and a star-stellar lite 8 foot one piece.

I'm thinking that the glass rods give you more flex and the graphite rods are a little more stiff. Am I right about that? One thing for sure, I like fighting a fish with the arra much better than with the st.croix. The 1083 bends above my foregrip having a lot of the rod parallel to the water while the St.Croix tends to just arc and bend more towards the top of the pole.

Is there any rhyme or reason for this? If they are both graphite, is the taper what's causing the difference in the way they bend while fighting a fish?

Just looking for some clarity and I thank you in advance for your answer.

ErikT

Erik,

Sounds like you should be attending this saturday's basic workshop. All your questions would be answered.

All the rods you listed are graphite. The way they bend is determined by their taper and the type of graphite used in the manufacturing process. Yes, glass is softer than graphite in similar rated blanks due to the difference in the materials.

The Arra is a Cadillac compared to the St. Croix.

Hope this helps.

Al