Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ACKer_home

Best Rod for Women?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Al (or other rod guru's),

My Mom is an avid surfcaster, even at age 70! She lives on Nantucket, and she's been heaving 2 1/4oz Roberts plugs for bluefish for years with an old, 11' yellow, Lami blank with a light action (cut down to 10 1/2'). She's got good casting technique, but she's not as strong as she used to be, and I'd like to help her get a little more distance by upgrading her rod. I was thinking about either the Ron Arra 1332 or the Loomis 1324. She needs something light that will load a 2 1/4oz plug very easily. Any suggestions? Thanks.

First off. What a wonderful thing that your Mom is surf casting at age 70.That's just AWESOME.Hope I can still be doin it at that age.

Take a close lookat Batson/Rainshadow: specifically SWS 1207 for a one piece or if looking for 2 piece the SU series.These are just outstanding blanks just not a "Big" Name.

You can shop/look on line at a # of retailers to see who carries them.I don't want to P O anyone by naming retailers.Just go to www.rodbuilding.org and check the sponsors on the left margin.In fact Rainshadow/Forecast is listed right on there. Good Luck and God bless Mom.Neil

What a great thing at the age of 70. I know a few boat fishing ladies that age and they are awesome fisherpersons.

I would go with a ten foot blank. The Rainshadow 1207 recommended by Neil is a good choice. Others to consider are the Lami GSB1201L and the Arra XRA1205. You did not specify custom or production and spinning or conventional. Both the Lamis are available as production spinners.

Hope this helps.

Al

Thanks for the advice. She needs a spinning rod, and I was leaning toward a production version just for timing purposes (late May is when Nantucket starts hopping). One piece is fine. I was thinkning 11' because she's likely to want to shorten the butt 6" or so on any model. How does the Rainshadow compare to the GSB or Ron Arra models in terms of weight and sweet spot?

All three have a sweet spot around 2.5-3 ounces. I don't know if the Rainshadow is available as a production rod.

The 1205 Arra has a little faster action then the 1201L.

I checked the lami website and they only make 2-piece production rods in 10 or 11 feet. If you wanted to go with a 1-piece rod then you would need to go custom.

I know several excellent buiders in the Cape area I can highly recommend.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 04-08-2002).]

If its mostly 2 1/4 OZ plugs , the All Star 1265/2 is perfect. The other real good one is the ARRA XRA 1204. I think its more suited to 2 1/4 than the 1205 mentioned. My XRA 1205 really gets good at 3 OZ. If you will be going up from 21/4 , the All Star 1265/2 will get you to 3. At 3 and up , The 1205 is a beauty.

Another excellent rod in the 2 1/4 OZ range is the Loomis 1266. I think its available factory made in 1 or 2 piece and in casting or spinner.Its a very fast action blank that some will love and some not. For 2 to 4 , its very good casting.

If it helps , I have both the 1204 and a 1265/2 blank in stock. A custom rod right now will be 2 weeks ARO. For a 1205 , I have to take a ride for the blank so it would be 3 weeks.

Email me at Saltheart@stripersonline.com if I can help.

Thanks Saltheart. In making your recommendations regarding the sweet spot, keep in mind that this is a 70-year old woman doing the casting. She has a good upper body turn in her casting motion, but she's not driving through the cast the way most of us would. I need a rod that's going to do a lot of the work for her. What's best?

Good point. For someone less physical , I think the XRA1204 (rated to 2 1/2 OZ) or the All star 1265/2 (rated to 3 OZ) .

For value (bang for the buck) , the All Star is tops.

For performance , as long as 2 1/4 OZ is the highest weight planned on , the XRA 1204 being slightly softer , may be better for the 70 year old lady fisherwoman. Its more money though.

Saltheart (or anyone else),

How does the actual weight of the blank compare between the All Star 1265/2 and the XRA 1204? My vague memory from handling both rods at a show a while back was that the XRA blank was much lighter. Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Al , I went to the All Star site and they have 8 OZ for the 1266 not 1265 blank. All Star lists the 1265/2 at 5 5/8 OZ.

The XRA 1204 blank is listed at 6 1/2 OZ.

So the longer All Star is actually lighter. I didn't believe it so I grabbed the blanks and the 1204 has a much thicker tip do to less taper.

Salt,

I guessed at the weight of the 1265 based on the 1266 that I had info from a distributor.

The weight difference then is minimal in terms of fatigue in casting.

I believe there is a significant price difference between the two blanks as well.

Al

Salt,

I guessed at the weight of the 1265 based on the 1266 that I had info from a distributor.

The weight difference then is minimal in terms of fatigue in casting.

I believe there is a significant price difference between the two blanks as well.

Since that's is your area of fishing I would go with your recommendation for the blank. I learned alot about surf blanks on this board.

Al

The rods are very similar. Both will toss eels into the suds great which is what I like about them. Casting, the edge goes to the longer , faster action All Star IMO. Fish fighting , the slow taper Lami will forgive more mistakes and so is hard to beat.

The extra money for the Arra blank (about $100 using MSRP) breaks the bank for some people. However , I do own one of each!! smile.gif

Saltheart,

You definitely have me leaning toward getting a 1265/2 built for my Mom. Am I correct in assuming it only comes in a 2-piece, or can I get it in 1-piece? Also, what's the diameter of the butt like? Not too thick I hope compared to the XRA 1204? She may at times go from a 2 1/4oz to a 2 1/2oz plug, but that's really what she throws 90% of the time--occasionally less weight, but never more. From your description, it sounds like the 1265/2 would load perfectly for her with those weights. I've also got her hooked on superlines due to the thin diameter for maximizing her distance--lately it's been Power Pro 30. What's your guess as to the weight of a finished rod with the right guides knowing that distance is going to be key for her and she'll be using Power Pro?

Thanks in advance.

ACKer