Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
11235BklynGuy

Bridge Blanks?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I would like to know if anyone has any experience or suggestions on a blank that

would be used for S.Bass fishing from the top of a bridge? I was thinking something in the order of 10 feet or so. Lure weight up to 5oz, 65lb braided line. Bridge height 30 + feet. Looking to put the brakes on large fish.

I agree with the 1209... dont forget the lami 126 1MH..great bridge rod..

also forget the braid.. use 50 lb mono.. you dont need to cast of the bridge and 50 lb mono will stop any fish you hook, plus youll be able to swing rats over the railing (15-20lbers, LOL).. braid will snap when tring to lift a fish, and slice your fingers when handling said fish.. I know from experience..

BC

I don't think All Star is making blanks any longer, but there may be some still around. Not sure of an NYC/LI sources.

If you go with Batson, make sure you specify the SU 1209 blank, and not the SW. The SW isn't what you want for bridge fishing wink.gif There isn't much difference between the other 10' blanks in the SU and SW, but there's a world of difference between the SW and SU 1209.

For the SW, I feel comfortable casting 1-4. Sabre, Pac Bay and Batson all rated their similar versions 1-6.

Assuming the SU is the same as the All Star, I would rate it 4-??? I never found the top end of the one I had wink.gif Easily 4-10.

The SW is more of an all around rod for situations where you need a little more oomph than a 1208 gives you. The SU is a serious meat stick--strong as a Harnell but at a fraction of the weight.

Just placed an order at Mudhole for the Cascade SU1209. What type of a finish does that blank have, is it smooth or is it like an ugly stick ?

It is smooth and lead-grey in color.

This blank sounds like a real meat stick just what I wanted smile.gif . I Just hope that I dont get a call from the Mudhole tommorow informing me that thier out of stock. I think my Newell 338 just found a new home wit that stick. biggrin.gif

ditch/anybody -

SU1209 vs GSB1221MH

i've see the su1209 talked about as a possible chunking rod . but it would seem to me that the relatively fast taper of the 1209 would not be appropriate as a bait stick . the slower gsb's or glass i would think are more practical . does the 1209 have a place as a chunking rig ?

Please be advised that if you purchase any blanks from MUDHOLE that they ARE NOT Batson / Rainshadow blanks. Mudhole is NOT a distributor of any Batson Enterprises products. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thank you

Bill Batson

CEO

Batson Enterprises

Rainsahdow/Forecast products