Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfrat59

color preserver...more harm than good?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

just finished my 2nd rod, similiar problem to first one although not quite as bad. after fully drying epoxy shows a white haze...is it the color preserver or the weather, was cold and damp when epoxied. a show of hands on color preserver,to use or not, would be appreciated...thanks

I'm a NO CP guy, but if applied properly, you shouldn't have a problem. The hazyness could be from applying too much, but I'm not very experienced with it.

Some guys build fancy looking rods, some guys build fishing tools where performance comes first. Granted , you can do both, but CP is just another place to go wrong, and possibly(debatable)decrease the integrity of your build.

Some guys built fishing tools that are also beautiful. L(

I hate color preserver.I only use where absolutely needed which is rare if you are careful choosing the threads.

When mixing try stiring your epoxy slowly. It sounds to me like your getting that miky look in some spots due to very tiny bubbles casued by rapid stiring. If you are using Flex Coat I cant stress it enough. If you havent already done so read the instructions fully. Although I agree with others on this board that color preserver does not need to be used. Big Dave

Some guys build fancy looking rods, some guys build fishing tools where performance comes first. Granted , you can do both, but CP is just another place to go wrong, and possibly(debatable)decrease the integrity of your build.

I agree 100%. Color Preserver is definately NOT a requirement when building a fancy rod (on butt wraps it almost is).

I think you're right Big Dave, had to wait a week for the tiptop to come in and didn't use color preserver on the tip wrap, and guess what,looks the same as all the other wraps! I am using flex coat high build, any tips or tricks to applying, or should I try another brand? What about the weather, was cold and rainy all weekend and I work out in the garage, is that a problem...any help greatly appreciated.

Bobby

No Billy, didn't put any heat on it. Brushed it out and let it spin...looked as smooth as glass after about 6hrs spnning..the next morning i went out to peek at it and the milky look was there...looks even worse today! Maybe moisture trapped in finish...very damp outside in garagee.

Surfrat,

Sounds like an issue with the weather to me. Also make sure your brushes are 100% dry if you are reusing them. The only time I use color preserver is on butt wraps to lock the threads on place before i do the tie offs. It helps prevent the threads from moving on ya'.

If it's that swirly white haze, it's contamination. Try mixing up a test batch with a small metal artist's spatula or knife.

The only way to get bright colors is with cp.

Cp will also cut down the bubbles that sometimes happen to form from the air in the threads.

Only use Gudebrod thread or cp.

Here are a few tips I picked up from using Flex Coat CP......Take your CP and dilute it with Denatured Alcohol 50/50 mix. I know that sounds crazy but it works....Also like already mentioned stir slowly also let it sit for a few minutes and let the bubbles rise and pop as muh as possible. Hope that helps

Walter,it is a swirling white haze, definitely not air bubbles...contamination from what? I mix in clean flexcoat plastic cups with stainless steel spoon, clean cup and spoon with acetone before mixing, pour mix onto foil and wait almost ten minutes to brush on. Bad batch of flexcoat?

I am new to rodbuilding but have many years experience working with epoxy when building flies. I agree with you about the color difference in wraps, thread colors much brighter with color preserver, used the same thread on last two rods and color difference is VERY noticeable.

Bobby

clean cup and spoon with acetone

There is a chance this is what is causing the problem.

Take your same thread, wrap it over a silver underwrap, and see if it is brighter than using CP.