Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thill

Baitcaster Sensitivity Questions...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

First, let me state that this is NOT a competition between gear types, but a sincere quest for information.

--------------------------------------------

I LOVE casting my conventionals, especially my new one! (my Pisces throws almost as far, but only with a 3 ounce sinker. I have to oil that baby, as Tim recommends, and see what it can really do! biggrin.gif)

Anyway, my personal problem with using baitcasters lies in the area of sensitivity.

I MAINLY fish by finesse jigging deep fast moving waters, with little or no action imparted to the lure. Drifting or "Long-lining" as some of you may call it.

Using two IDENTICAL blanks, I get MUCH better sensitivity when using the spinner vs. the baitcaster. Here are what I believe to be the reasons why:

1. With the spinner, my ENTIRE hand is wrapped around the foregrip of the rod,

2. My hand is ABOVE the vibration dampening weight of the reel.

I could be blind, and with the spinning rods I currently have, I can feel every move the jig makes, and the lightest taps, even on a line with a lot of belly in it.

1. With the baitcaster, my hand is only PARTLY around the handle/trigger of the rod.

2. The rest of my hand is on the reel itself, giving me less than 50% contact with the rod,

3. The contact with the rod is BELOW the vibration dampening weight of the reel,

4. And that contact is also with my two smallest fingers and the palm of my hand, instead of with my more sensitive forefingers.

I THINK that if I could hold the baitcaster the same way as I do the spinner, the rods would be equal. But obviously a baitcaster is not a spinning rod.

So here are my questions:

1. Do any of you notice anything similar to my observations above? Several have told me yes to this one in person.

2. How do YOU hold a baitcaster, when seeking the maximum sensitivity of a drifted lure?

3. Is there anything I can do to increase sensitivity when fishing a conventional? I already am using great blanks. (HM54, GL3)

4. Is there any other advice you can give me?

Right now, my baitcasters are mainly used for vertical jigging, and cast and retrieve fishing. I would like to use them for finesse jigging, but I simply miss too many strikes right now.

Thanks in advance, for all of the advice you more experienced baitcasters can give me. biggrin.gif

TH

PS- Very glad we have all made it to 2002. I wish everyone the very best!

Thill, Any time I'm using a conventional and sensitivity is an issue, I hold the rod in front of the reel with my last three fingers under the foregrip, my forefinger on the bottom of the line and my thumb on top of the line creating a slight deflection. I get more feel from the line than the rod. Rod butt is under my armpit. I fish mostly saltwater, so most of my rods have fairly long butts.

thill,

Stringman gave it to you. Although I mostly spinfish, I love the ability to hold a conventional with the line between my thumb and forefinger. You can even maintain this contact will retrieving, which you can never do with a spinner.

My second thought is that you should try a spiral wrapped conventional. By having the guides closest to the tip on the bottom of the blank, sensitivity is improved.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Mark had his new Spiral wrapped rod with us on the boat. Sweet rod!

I'm still not sure if I want to "waste" one of my sweet, GL3 blanks on a conventional rod, spiral wrapped or not! biggrin.gif I will have to keep testing for a while before I come to that conclusion.

TH

Tony,

You will not be wasting the rod, believe me. I am currently wrapping a GSH961MT with a spiral wrap for bucktails and plastics to 1.5 ounces. Here are the specs:

17-inch cork or cork tape butt.

Fuji #18 trigger seat

6-inch flocked foregrip.

Fuji NSG or BLNGH guides: 20,16,12,12,10,10,8,8,8,8 and a PST SIC tip.

I sent Mark all the spiral wrap info and he can fill you in.

The new TICA baitcaster equivalent to a Calcutta 250 and 10 LB braid completes the outfit.

Al

Al,

Have you used that new Tica yet? Looks like a sweet reel!

Thanks for the info, but I'm still a bit hesitant about using one of my favorite blanks for this. Is that the spiral wrap rod Mark just made the other night? He put his Calcutta 250 on it, and it was a very nice combo.

But to use one of my MB 804's as a conventional.... Man, I don't know about that!!! cwm24.gif

Al and Tony,

The spiral wrapped rod I used the other day was a Graphite USA B65H rated for 1/4 - 1 oz. It handled the job very well.

Tony,

Al was the one who talked me through the spiral wrap setup and sent me a very good article on it. I'll make you a couple of the article. In short, I'll be building several spiral rods over the winter.

Mark

When I fish conventional, 7000/975 or smaller, I palm the reel with my left hand. This lets me either keep the line draped over my index finger, sometimes the thumb is on top too. I have always found the constant contact with the line to be much more sensitive than spinning set ups, in fact it is one of the reasons I like conventional tackle so much. The only thing you have to be carefull of is braid and hooksets; if you do not remember to get your finger out of the way before you set the hook, it can be pretty ugly. I have cut my index finger very close to the bone this way and it is no fun.

Angryeel

http://momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=10696

You could try and tinker with the design Tom Kirkman has emploed on this spinning rod. I haven't but plan to play around. Try the Weibe trigger which is designed to use with a cork or wood insert, just leave the insert area empty so that you can feel the blank. As I said, not sure how this would work, but it may be worth playing around with.

Also, Fuji ECS reel seats have a section removed so that you can have direct contact with the blank. Another way to have direct contact with the blank is to not use a foregrip. Obviously this would not be a great idea if you currently use the foregrip while fighting a fish.

Just throwing out ideas, Billy