Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Dave

Zziplex Powertex Bass Rod Review

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I just finished wrapping my new Zziplex Powertex Bass Blank. What a nice stick. The Blank is rated for 1 to 3 and will cast 4 with no trouble. Terry Carroll rates his rods right on the money. As with almost all British bass rods compared to USA blanks, Its much longer. The Blank is 12' 8" and weighs but a few ounces. The blank has a 5' X 7/8" parallel butt section and a very nice 7' 6" parabolic tip. The blank has tons of lifting power with the 5' butt section. This is a surf fishermen's beach plugging machine. Better suited to the open beach rather than the Canal. But I intend to use it at the Ditch. You will not tire from casting this rod cast after cast any more than you would, fishing any 9 footer on the market. You also get much better performance. This rod casts 1 1/2 to 3 oz plugs without effort to attain remarkable distance. Also if you want to put the boots to it this blank can't be over powered during the cast, like some rods on the market, that result in dropped off performance. If you're looking for a high end stick, this is a pretty good choice. Even with Tax and overseas shipping it can still be had cheaper than some USA sticks. Regards Big Dave

[ 07-30-2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]

Big Dave,

Thanks for the great report. I usually fish the open beach and am still in the search for that perfect rod. Currently I am fishing a 13' Allstar 1565 that I had custom wrapped for me. I am curious if you have ever used this rod and how it would compare to the zziplex. It throws 3/4 - 3 oz great, can push it to 4 oz with a lob. It is alot like a steelhead rod on steroids. Fairly light with a soft tip but plenty of strength in the butt to handle most anything that swims my way.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark

I too own the 13foot All-Star. The difference is night and day between the two. I find the All-Star a bit slow to recover and feels a lot softer compared to the Zziplex. The Powertex will surprise you very much. It's so crisp, and recovers so fast, yet is loads so quick and easy. It's light in weight beyond belief. Great rod to be standing in the surf with. And with the length as you know the tip is nice and high and gets out of the breakers and wash. I really give this blank an A+ Just a Flick sends 2 to 3 ounce tins out of sight of landing. Great rod to reach that 2nd bar if you need to if its to deep to wade. Big Dave

[ 07-30-2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]

I used 3 different reels on this stick, A Penn 525 mag, Diawa Grand Wave 20, and a ABU 6500 Blue Yonder, with a custom mag setup. All 3 worked quite well with it. One thing I did when I set up the Rod was to use Alconite guides. They have a taller frame than say the BSVLG Hardloy. The reason I did this was I wanted to be able to use a Spinning Reel on this rod with Power Pro. Braid in my opinion really does not require that large of a stripper guide. A 30mm stripper is more than adaquate for braid. Although I am sure a lot of builders might disagree. But that's ok with me. I am not one to follow the normal rules in rod building. I try to use as few Guides as possible, while keeping the line up off the blank while under a load. I keep my wraps to a minimum size, say an 1/8th of an inch beyond the foot of the guide. Never any fancy butt wraps that add weight to the blank and require 12" of flex Coat. Nice simple working rods built to perform. I will let you know how it works with a spinning reel as soon as I get the chance to try it. Big Dave

Big Dave, I am curious as to why the Alconite and not the lowrider? Have you ever used a Conflex, if so how does it compare?

[ 08-06-2003, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: DaveC ]

Hey Big Dave

I think I would really like the powertex bass blank too but for the money I could save on a purglas for 2-4oz lures do you think I,am getting as good a blank?I have a zziplex v-max f2 and I love it.Have you ever thrown this blank?If so I know it has more power but how do you compare the action of the two zziplex,s? Thanks

matt c

Hi Big Dave... I have been interested in this blank for some time to use with a spinning reel.

I think that the next time Peter Thain comes to the USA (hopefully this year) I will take his word and ask him to bring me a blank.

I would also love to hear your comments casting with a PTX Bass rod in spinning configuration a 4 oz (really 3.75 oz) Roberts Big Shot.

Thanks beforehand for your expert comments.

Best wishes!

Sergio

[ 08-08-2003, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Sergio ]

Hi Guys

Old John,

The spacing and sizes are, (8 guides) 10, 12,12,16,16,20, 25,30 from the tip down 4 ½ ,9 ½ ,14 ½, 22 ½, 32 ½, 44 ½, 59 ½, 79 ½ Tip is 12mm ring and a 9 tube. Reel seat is 31 inches from the Butt.

Dave C

As far as using Alconites, opposed to Low Riders. First off, I am not much of a spinning guy. In Fact I only use it for about 5% of my fishing. And that's only for the really light stuff. I know guys claim great things about the Low Riders. But I would really have to see for myself the benefits of the guides in order to put them on my rods, and at this point I don't see it.

Matt C

The purglas rods are quite nice, I wish I had a little bit more experience with them. My first thought is the Zzippex rod is a little better balanced than the purglas. Might be a bit lighter to. As for the F2 V Max compared to the Powertex Bass. The difference are so drastic between the two there is no way I could compare them.

Sergio. I should be able to get to the water and toss a few by the end of this week. I will let you know my thoughts.

Duckwump

Not really sure I can sum up the difference between the two. I have only cast a gambit a total of 3 casts. I did however like it very much. The soft action to it, makes it very easy to cast. I would like to have a bit more time with the Gambit to give an accurate comparison to the Zziplex. Don't think you could go wrong with either choice

Thanks Dave. I will keep an eye on the forum regarding your expert comments on this rod.

Dave, I love Fuji LCSG's (Low Riders) but these are IMO special aplication guides. Unless you are casting lures and using PE braided line on spinning reels I can imagine that there is little incentive to use them.

Sergio

Mike

Please send me an email. I wont post links. I have to tell you trying to get one rod from overseas is quite expensive. sometimes a 150.00 dollars. your best bet is to find what you want and let me know. you can piggy back an order with mine that I place on a regular basis. and I divide the shipping costs. and will ship it to you Regards Big Dave

Mike

Please send me an email. I wont post links. I have to tell you trying to get one rod from overseas is quite expensive. sometimes a 150.00 dollars. your best bet is to find what you want and let me know. you can piggy back an order with mine that I place on a regular basis. and I divide the shipping costs. and will ship it to you Regards Big Dave