Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed3434_98

Converting a spinning rod to a conventional rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have a 10' Tica spinning rod with a really fast action I want to convert to conventional. Can this be done? If so what would be the best approach. I'm a newcomer to rod building.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on how deep you wanna get into it. You could just tear the guides off and wrap it conventional, but if you really wanna do it right you gotta strip it to the blank and totally rebuild it. On a conventional, the (non trigger) reel seat is upside down so the seat threads ain't in your way. Also, a lot of people like a trigger seat for better control over the rod, but it's a personal choice.

First off just put a conventional onto the rod as is a give it a few casts. The blank does't know what guides are on it, only your head does. If you like the way it casts remove the old guides and install the new ones of your choice. I've done this many times for customers, works fine providing the rod was properly built the first time, ie spine at 12 or 6 oclock possition. If it has a trigger seat get out your Dremmil cut off the horn and smooth. Its easy to reshape the seat.

I would just get a new rod. After all the labor, materials, and your time, you've probably more than covered a new Tica. Also, I think by changing the set up of the guides, you also could risk breaking the rod by going against the way it's been bending for however long you've been using it.