Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Good Luck Al!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

The tog are non existent on the East End due to warm water and the swarms of scup over every piece of hard bottom.

So our plans have changed since we will have some kids along with use. Two hours of scup fishing for the kids then spend of the rest of the trip at Plum Gut, The Sluiceway or the Race to fish for bass.

Capt. Gregg on the Ocean Eagle has been doing well with the early tog run on the West End and I have on invitiation to go out. Maybe I can sneak out of the office for a day soon.

Best,

Al G.

We first tried jigging for bass and blues at Plum Gut and the Sluiceway, but it was slow. We moved east to The Race and they were stacked up on the deep spot on the outgoing tide. Every pass through we had every rod connect. The problem was we had a group of "Pilgrims" on board and it was a little wild try to keep the lines from crossing. Small bass and gorilla bluefish to 15 lbs.

After two hours of this everyone had enough and we decided to do some sedate bottom fishing. As expected, the scup were knee deep over every piece of hard bottom. It was "drop and lock" fishing. We had a smattering of blackfish and sea bass as well.

When the tide turned, the wind came up screaming out of the west. By then everyone had enough and we headed back in.

Hopefully this cold snap will get the tog biting.

Al G.

Al, that sounds like an excellent day, even if the blackfish weren't as thick as you'd have liked them to be...bent rods is bent rods! wink.gif

So what kinda stick do you prefer for inshore Toggin' Al? Just curious...and are you crossin' their eyes with braid? Man, it's nice to be able to walk your sinker around the inside of a wreck 80 feet underwater...if ya close your eyes, you can almost see the wreck! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

TimS

Tim,

Crazy Al and I are "Togmaniacs". I think we have developed the ultimate tog set up. i say we, because Al has given me alot of input over the years in it's design. That's how I first met Al some 15 years ago when he heard about my tog rods fishing the North Fork.

Where we fish out east, the tides are very strong. It is common to use 16-20 ounces during the time of the full moon and 10-12 ounces during weaker tide days. The use of braid is essential where we fish.

The rod is built on a composite blank, 6.5-7 foot long. Calstar, Seeker, Lami and Loomis all make excellent blanks for this application. The choice of blank is a matter of price. All these blanks are rated from 30-50 lb test. They have a relatively firm tip with alot of sticking power.

If you are interested I can send you more info.

Al G.

Al. A buddy of mine made a rod that he uses for togging and some hvy sea bassing. I know its a lami-S glass and would like to build something similar but he cant remember the model number, or if its still in production(he picked it up from Mikes in Sheepshead bay). Its the old brown color, 6.5-7 foot.

Any ideas on the type of blank it could be, just so I have something to start looking at for over the winter?

------------------

Robert

"Ill catch a Bass on Staten Island one of these days"

That rod from Mike was a classic. I had one for years until a gorilla bluefish pulled it over the side on a partyboat trip years ago.

I gather for the various threads that alot of SOL members like to do tog fishing from a boat. Therefore, I am going to do an article tonight on building a tog rod.

Al G.