Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeMcG

NJ NERDS Test Casting Event

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Less than a month to go upck.gif Here's what we need for the test casting event. We need at least two of the same conventional reels, one with mono and one with braid. We also need a few of the same spinning reels ( at least two ) All mine are different Penn SS reels, and I don't think that my 310 or 320 GT2 will work for casting cwm27.gif We need the same reels to keep this as accurate as possible. I'll be bringing two hard hats, in case anyone gets up close and personal with a bank sinker

Thanks, Mike

I can bring a 6500 mag elite (levelwind) with 30# Stealth and a 140 Squidder, Newell bars, seat and spool with 50# stealth.

Anyone else who's coming have a match to one of these??

Leave the Squidder home, unless you plan to fish it in teh AM. The rods we'll be test casting are 1087 Rainshadows, better suited for the Abu, I think?

All I'm bringing is a Pen & a spreadsheet to record data.

will be bringing 2 6500 mags , levelwind

2 'little' nautils

2 'big' nautils

6500 mag non levelwind

brain dead , can't remember what else i have in the camper .. frown.gif

derf

I also have a 5500SS and Greg has one, so that's four. No line on them yet, so I'll wait to spool them with whatever is on the other ones. If anyone on the list still needs directions, e-mail me or call me if I gave you my number

Mike

We should make sure the reels have the same line on them. 20 braid vs 20 mono is a world of difference.

My 6500 has well broken in 30# Stealth on it.

On the four spinning rods, I think the plan is to pound both braid and mono through four different guide set ups...due to line capacity on the spools I'm going to suggest a 20lb braid vs. a 14 lb mono.....

On the two conventionals...maybe 30lb braid vs 20lb mono ?...........any advice?...suggestions?

Question about the 5500SS - would that be a normal reel for that type of a rod? Is the spool very wide where large coils would come off and make certain set ups on this type of a rod not "work".

Specifically, the Concept system, where a smaller stripper guide is used further away from the reel than normal.

Just something to keep in mind. I wish I did this type of fishing and knew more about it so I could offer input.

If that reel isn't "realistic" for that rod, what reel would? A Nautil 6500?