Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Winter Rodbuilding Workshop Date is Set

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have confirmed the date for the Basic Rodbuilding Workshop for Saturday, February 9th, 2002. Please mark your calendar.

It will be held at the Knights of Columbus Hall, 1000 Marcus Avenue, New Hyde Park, NY. It is just off the Long Island Expressway at Exit 34.

The seminar fee is $75 and will include lunch and refreshment breaks. We will be running the workshop as a fundraiser for the benefit of the new Sportfishing Education Center in Cedar Beach, new York and the Send A Kid Fishing Program sponsored by the Long Island Fisherman. The net profits from the workshop will be donated to these organizations that I have been supporting for the future of sportfishing.

If you would like to attend, please email me at rodprof@bestweb.net or PM me your email address and I will return email the registration form and the proposed agenda.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 11-28-2001).]

Al,

I will be there.. do you think there is any possibility of having vendor(s) at the seminar so that if we see a piece of equipment, part, blank, epoxy, thread etc, that one of the lecturers recommeneds, or uses, we can maybe pick it up???

It might be a good idea to have one of the Rod Builder companies there, Im sure they would make a decent days pay with all of us willing to buy people!!!

dave (by the way, I started the S-glass and 1204 is right behind (im trying to find a good color scheme for that Arra Colored blank...)

Hi Dave,

As far as having vendors at the workshop, since it's only one day it would not be cost effective. I will have catalogs from both Clemens and Mudhole and will be happy to advise people on what to order.

In addition, there will be a flea market at the workshop. I will be bringing blanks, thread and other goodies for sale. I believe that some of the other instructors will also be bringing rod building components to sell.

My favorite color combination for the Arra series blanks is the following:

Gold metallic, copper, red metallic, burgandy and black.

Al

If you guys were smart, you'd hook up prior to the show and order blanks, then split the shipping cost between you. This will allow you to get long one piece blanks without getting hammered on the shipping.

I think you'll see a few different brands of epoxy, threads, and some tools that the lecturers have. I'll have some of the decorative threads I use (I think about 40 colors), and Al always has the metallics for sale, along with a test stick with these threads finished under epoxy.

Billy

The workshop will be composed of talks and demonstrations by myself and other seasoned rodbuilders. The following are some of the topics that will be covered:

Choosing the proper blank.

Choosing the grips, guides and reelseat.

Fitting the rod to the fisherman.

Spining and rod performance.

Guide preparation and placement.

Wrapping tips.

Finishing tips.

Fancy butt wraps

Exotic grip inlays

In addition, there will be a fleamarket with blanks and other components and supplies for sale.

Al

I have received several emails from pople that have never built a rod asking if attending the workshop would be good for them. My answer is a very strong YES!!!

The workshop agenda has been specifically developed for the novice rod builder with little or no experience. The majority of the program will be practical demonstrations by seasoned rodbuilders that will permit very close participation of the attendees.

As an example: One demonstration will show you how to "Spine" a blank. The instructor will then let each participant spine a blank.

I have already received 30 requests for information. In addition, I will be advertising the workshop in all the January editions of the Long Island Fisherman. Attendance will be limited to allow for alot of student/instructor interchange. So, please send in your registration material and deposit ASAP.