Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob S.

Rod Building Questions

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Would like to build a 11'surf spinning rod for use with a Van Staal 250 loaded with braid for all purpose plugging--1 to 4ozs --tossing pencil poppers and wooden swimmers. Based on reading at this site considering either the Lami GSB 1321M or Ron Arra XRA 1322. Feedback appreciated. Also what size guides to use and their spacing on the blank.

4oz is alot to ask from the Arra, great rod but a little fragile, I know quite a few guys who have blown them up with less weight. IMO 1321M is the way to go,after testing and rewrapping mine 3 times I really like this layout:

BHVLG40HH-BSVLG30-25-20-16-BPLT20 tip

surfrat59, I am sorry and surprised to hear of this and thanks for the info,we are always working hard to eliminate any product failure or dissatisfaction.I personally have not seen any of this yet when fishing beside or near countless surfcasters, using the XRA rods under adverse conditions, especially the XRA 1322 11' which is an exceptional plugging rod.The XRA 1261MH 10'6" rated for 4-6 oz has better casting performance using lures beyound 4oz.The 2004 and 2005, (page 25) Lamiglas finish factory rod catalog has excellent advise and information on prolonging the life & performance of your Lamiglas rod.

You can't go wrong with either selection but I would give the edge to the XRA since you mention pencil poppers. It can work a pencil pretty well for a graphite rod. I fish with both rods and find the XRA just a bit easier to load. And the 1322 will absolutely rocket a 3 1/2 pencil popper. smile.gif If you really need to throw heavier stuff I would lean towards the 1321M which can even lob 6 oz and a small chunk. I wouldn't recommend that kind of abuse for the XRA. The 1321M can still cast 6" bombers if you need to.

You will have to determine guide placement by doing a static load test.. no two will be exactly the same. Use care in preping the guide feet, don't use excessive thread tension, keep wrap length to a minimum, and I like to underwrap every guide. SR59 gives good advice on guide sizes. You could switch to BLVLG single foot guides after the BSVLG 30 for a slightly lighter top end and shorter wraps at the cost of some durability since they bend a lot easier. And there's a wide variety of tips you could use including SIC. Lately I have used the BHNNT 12 tip which is intended for wireline use. It does have a big disadvantage in that it has to be wrapped and is a pain if you have to change it and being only a 12 it sometimes is prone to weed clogging. You have a lot of choices but that's why it's a custom rod.

Steve

[ 08-07-2004, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Steve M ]

In addition to useing sic for the tip I would also highly recommend you use sic for those two guides below the tip guide. These take a lot stress during repeated surf casting. Have replaced all of my hardloy types on these paricular guides in the past

In addition to useing sic for the tip I would also highly recommend you use sic for those two guides below the tip guide. These take a lot stress during repeated surf casting. Have replaced all of my hardloy types on these paricular guides in the past

What advantage would you have with an SIC tip, or SIC guides in general? Say, versus Alconite?