Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergio

Al...Which side of the spine do you set the guides?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Al... In a powercasting surf fishing spinning rod, In what side do you set the guides in relation to the spine?

My best wishes to you and your family in this Christmas and New Year!

Sergio

Sergio,

For power cast surf spinning, the guides and the spine go on the bottom, 180 degree axis. This will give you maximum casting performance from the blank.

My best to you and your family as well for the holiday season and the New Year. I spoke to the manufacturer of the Tornado and he saw your posting. He was thrilled that it worked for you.

Al

Curious (when am I not??) - based on my readings and my limited experiance, I agree with you Al. I am wondering just how much of a difference to you think it makes if the spine is located on the guide side of the rod, as opposed to the "top"??

Say Sergio can cast 100 yards with the spine on the "top", how far do you think it will cast on the bottom? In theory it should go further, but after seeing the power some guys use when casting, and feeling the "power" of the spine, I would think the spine plays a minor role in the distance he will obtain. If it is a 5 yard difference though, that is definitely a relatively big difference based on how easy it is to locate the guides on the spine.

The reaon I ask is that I get the feeling when speaking to fisherman they think the position of the spine will make them cast like 20 yards further.

Billy

[This message has been edited by Billy 40 (edited 12-24-2001).]

Billy,

You are asking "how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin". Yes, the spine can impact the casting performance of a rod. It will effect the performance more on certain rods then others. A fly rod is a good example where proper spining effects performance.

For most other casting applications the proper fitting of the rod to the fisherman, length of butt, guide placement and balancing the rod, reel, line and lure have a greater impact on casting performance.

Al

Hi Al, If I lived closer I could benifit from your classesfrown.gif When I press down on the blank and find the side with the greatest sag,is the spine top or bottom? Now on which side should the guides be for a conventional surf rod? Where would we be without you? Thanks,al and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Mike. You live in God's Country for fishing. I did quite alot of fishing in the Maritime Provinces for giant tuna in my earlier years. Too old now for that stuff.

If you are spining the blank by resting the butt on a flat surface and pressing down on the blank, the blank will come to rest with the spine on the outside of the curve. Mark the spine's position with a strip of masking paper and pen.

For a conventional casting rod, surf or other, place the spine on the top of the rod or the zero degree axis. The guides and reelseat are also on top directly in line with the spine.

Thanks Al,Another piece of the puzzel answered. Yes,There is big tuna out there.Off of Cape breton,N.S. and PEI.I was offered a trip out once out of Grand manan,N.B. Saw their boats.Long fronts where they chase down the tuna and spear them...Wild,I bet but had to decline as I get seasick in a bath tub.upck.gif

You shoulda gone on that harpooning trip MikeH, you would have remembered it forever. I have stood on the end of 40' retractable pulpits and it is awe inspiring, they wouldn't let me toss it however. They did allow me to electrecute it. Sad feeling.

JC

Hi Jameson,I'am serious put me in a boat on the salt and its ALWAYS-upck.gifupck.gifupck.gifupck.gifupck.gifupck.gifupck.gifupck.gif

Its not funny either.Go figure,someone that loves the salt so much and all hell breaks loose

I would have liked to see the tuna fishin and you described it right,the length of the front was longer than the boat and about the electricity (I forgot that they said that)......It must be sad though/worth it by all accounts/but sad. I would rather see them do this than longlining if they do that also? Best of the season,Mike

------------------

FUNDY is more fun at night