Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plugger 41

Ron Arra 1083 blank

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Building a XRA1083 blank for throwing bombers and redfin type plugs and poppers to 11/2 oz. plan on using a daiwa 2600 reel with 30# power pro. Would like to know the best type of guides to use and size.some say to go with the fuji BLVLG and use a #40 BSVLG for the first guide Fish STATEN ISLAND and BREZZY alot.Would appreciate any help.

Plugger,

Use the Fuji high frame single foot hardaloys, YLG guides. 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 12,10,10 and an SIC PST tip. They are durable and should work well.

Al

Al and Plugger,

I have that blank also and was considering options for guide setup. I like Al's suggested setup. I was thinking about another possibility, as follows:

BHVLG 40HH and 30H, then BYLG 20, 16, 12, 10, 10 and PST tip.

It's pretty similar to Al's suggestion only using double footed guides for the first two strippers and one less guide.

Al, do you typically use 8 guides for a 9' light plugging rod? Seems to incorporate some of the new concept ideas which I like.

Mark

I made up several of these for friends and they really like it. Most of them are fishing 10-12 lb mono or 20 lb Power Pro with small plugs and jigs.

I built two on a lighter 9 foot blank and they use them for casting Deadly Dicks for false albacore and bonito off a boat. The extra guides really helps to load the rod smoothly. I can still hear the reel singing as the line smoked off the spool.

Soooon it will be spring, HURRAY!!!!!!

I'll post my vote for the 40 HH for the stripping guide, however I would go right to a 30 single foot rather than a double. You can always do a single foot high frame 30 too.