Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sandbar

To much Epoxy?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello Rodbuilders,

I just purchased a 1509 Breakaway used that is beautiful but they had to do some work at the upper part of the Butt stick, where it fits together(they removed a name tag under epoxy) it appears that there is to much epoxy now on the upper part of the Butt and when you put the two pieces together they hit, they spin one on the other without being tight, there is a white line now around the epoxied area of the Butt stick epoxy. Can I do anything here, or does it have to go to a Pro to get this resolved, they also shipped it in a cardboard box without it being supported and has finely scratched all of the epoxy in a straight line up the rod. I can live with the fine scratches, but the joint needs some attention,

Thanks for your time. Sandbar

OK I'll say it.

The rod doesn't sound "right", either the "repair" was done poorly or the butt and tip sections are from two different rods (hence the label scratched off). I would send it back and spend your money elsewhere.

Just my $0.02

gad

Thanks for the reply Gadwall8.

I believe truely that the 2 pieces are of the same blank, they just got to much epoxy or flexcoat on the upper part of the Butt section hence it fits to loose before it hits the upper section, instead of messing with removing the flexcoat or epoxy or anything like that, can I trim off the lower part of the upper section, say a 1/4", I think this would do it, the rod section fits together about 5 3/4" now. Is this going to cause a potential problem if I do this? Thanks for your time. Steve

I guess I got this message started off wrong, this rod is a 1509 Allstar 12'8" custom built, not a 1509 Breakaway. They removed a label on the upper portion of the Butt and reapplied over the area and to cover the area that had the label they needed to cover the area a little higher on the upper portion of the Butt and it now does not let the upper fit onto the lower tightly without hitting the renewed coating. Can I cut off about a 1/4" off the slip joint on the upper portion without causing any harm to the rod?

Sandbar,

A 1509 Allstar is the blank that a 1509 Breakaway is built on.

I wouldn't suggest trimming the tip like that, you're playing with fire. Removing epoxy is pretty easy, just be a little patient about it. Take a heat gun and heat it till the epoxy softens, but don't overheat it. Better to err towards underheating then over heating. Lay a razor almost parrallell to the blank to slice down the epoxy without cutting the blank. Once the epoxy is hot, you can peel it with your finger nail. You might need to reheat and pick away for a while, but you'll get there eventually.

But, I'd first have a little conversation with the party tht sold it to you like that. They had to know they were selling you "damaged goods".

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 03-12-2003).]