Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deviljohn

Custom Drum rod EVA or Cork???

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Amateur 1st timer on rod building....took a 7' casting rod of mine and removed the handle and guides down to the graphite, desire to build a muskie type casting handle w/ 14-15" or so rear grip length (to match my forearm length for leverage on the "hawgs") Wondering if the 24" length 1/2" id EVA grips will suffice, especially around the rear of the reel seat. There will be +- 1/16" of "play" in this area w/ a 1/2 id EVA grip. Suppose I could fill the area w/ epoxy...dunno.

other alternative is to buy the cork rings and do it that way, but much more$$$ for the effort. Since this is a custom frankenstien (IM7 Graphite) first time build, trying to keep the $$ down....thoughts????.

Planning on using for inshore drum fishing w/ Abu 5500s, haven't been able to find any 6-7' rods w/ extra long cast handles, so figured I'd build it..

Of course, after success in this venture, I'll build other rods w/ quality blanks/components etc...

Sap's rising, fishin should be on soon enough.

Welcome to the board John. You can use 3/8 inch I.D eva and slide it over a much larger diameter blank as long as you apply enough epxoy to (grease) the inside of the grip. If your grip is 24 inches long put the epoxy 48 inches up the blank from the butt and the slide the grip down through the epoxy and spin it on the way to really coat the inside of the grip. Dont worry regular isopropyl alcohol will remove the excess epoxy from the blank. 3/8 I.D. EVA will easily slide over a 5/8 blank, 1/2 I.D.EVA would slide over 3/4 blank. Just make sure you got plenty of paper towels and Iso Alcohol. When you get the EVA where you want it, look at the grip and make sure there are no high spots from pushing the grip down and compressing it. If It does compress try pulling it from both ends to stretch it back to regular legnth. I would use a non flowing epxoy like Kardol or Rod Bond. And when your all done keep an eye on it just in case it moves a bit because of some minor compression of the eva. Kardol and Rod Bond setup in about 2-3 hours.

Good Luck. Bruce