Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lumo

Don't have a rod wrapper/drier????

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

So I think I can handle wrapping the guides manually, but what about letting it dry without a motor. Is this O.K. and do I just turn it every so often??

A very helpful salesperson helped pick out the components for the Batson SW1087 that was recommended to me for my first build.

Pac Bay 18 reel seat

50,40,30,25,20,16 Fuji Hardloy BSVLG's

I opted for preformed cork which I am cutting to do split grips.

Gudebrod NCP size D thread for both over and under wraps.

Paired to a Stradic 5000

What do you guys think? What and why would you all have done differently?

A million thanks!

you can use A thread for under rap, coat with a light epoxy.let dryover night.

you will need a rod dryer.

it will have to turn it for 4 hour's depends on the epoxy you use,.

i use aft cote rod wrapping finish it's take 6 to 8 hour to dry.

this is way you need a rod dry .other epoxy can take 4 to5 hours to dry;

get some 91 percent isdpropyl alcohol to clean

your brush and tool.

all way mix 3 cc of harder 3 cc of epoxy.

you can use A thread for the guide's to . A give you more turn on the guide's.

i use it all the time

good luck

Eddie

Lumo, You do not need a rod drier. I built my first two rods this fall without one and did not have a problem. Without a dryer the key is to apply multiple thin coats of finish rather than one or two thick ones, the finish will run less if it is thin. The way I do it is to apply the finish nice and heavy so I am sure everything is coated and saturated, then I use one of those small sponge like brushes you get in the paint department at Home Depot and I squeegy off the excess finish until everything is thin and evened out. Then I rotate the rod 180 degrees every 5 to 10 min. I know it sounds like a pain but if you apply a coat of finish when you get home from work in the evening all you have to do is rotate the rod every commercial break while watching your favorite program on TV until you are ready to turn in for the night. I use Aftcote finish and if I do it like this I can just let the rod sit after 4 hours of hand rotating without any sagging occuring. Repeat a couple more times and you are good to go. It seemed silly for me to buy a dryer for my first couple of rods until I started wrapping a bunch. This way you can't just walk away for 5 hrs but it is really not that difficult. Good luck. icon14.gif Also it was recommended to me by the experienced guys here to wrap A under and A over, but I will let others chime on that.

You have to keep rotating the rod , by hand or by machine , to get a nice finish. How about a grill rotissierie motor. They work well for rod drying.

Maybe you could ask if the store that sold you the parts would put the finish on for you for a fee after you finish the rest of the build?

Lumo, these 2 pics show the easily made wrapping set up I use. I use 2 V blocks and a third support which is a pair of furniture coasters glued upside down into the board. I have found the rollers necessary for the grip area because I origonaly used a V block there as well but the cork tape would grip and roll up the side of the slope. An even easier set up is to cut notches in a box. I use a big heavy book to give me tension on my thread. As coinidence would have it that is a SW1087 on the bench, I can't wait to throw with this rod.

wrapper1.JPG

wrapper2.JPG

Don't have a basement, believe me the wife loves having this in the spare bedroom. wink.gif

I started out using a rotisserie motor, the hardest part was finding a way to connect the rod butt to the motor. I used a piece of foam that I bored a hole into so that the rod but would fit snugly and then cut a spit rod and attached that to the other side. This worked well but made for a longer setup, I eventually just went out and bought a drying motor from Flex Coat, the cost was around $60.00.

We were selling drying motor all ready to go with a chuck & stands for $25 in Charlotte. JOhn Dow made them, maybe he still has some left. IF you want I'll try contacting him to see if he still has any.

Cabelas has drying motors without the stand for like 10 bucks i thnk. I built my first dryer out of one of these motors, i had a cabelas gift certificate to spend.

I used rubber bands around the blank then a short piece of electrical tape to hold the blank on the motor. It worked and was cheap, much better than babysitting curing epoxy.

the info. that everyone here has given you is great! I'm looking at the guides that you posted, the only thing I would change is to NOT use the #50, not needed with that reel and blank, set the reel with the reel seat where you want them, then set you stripper guide, #40, approx: 30" from reel face. you may also want to try a #40HH as a stripper guide. I hoped this is helpful. good luck.......... icon14.gif

I bought my first drier at a garage sale for $5. It is an old rotisserie motor that I glued a large butt cap to. Works great and is still in use as a spare. It helps to have more then you need, when you finish more than one rod at a time, mixing finish in large batches helps prevent miscalculations in the resin to hardener ratio.

two things..

#1-flex coat sells a drying motor for about $60.. its worth it, especially if you "f" up your rod cause you didnt spin it right

#2-#50 guide on that blank is TOO BIG.. use BSVLG's, start with a 40,30,25,20,16, 12 tip. or 40,30,20,16,12, 12 tip.

wither will work great. but # 50 on that blank will make the rod too heavy and not balanced well.. trust me, Ive built 25-30 of these rods, and I tried it almost every way.. starting with a 40 is key.

Good luck, post any additional questions you may have.

BC

you don't need a dryer..use the cardboard box and cut v's in it then hand turn it for a few hours.keep watching and rotating.some of my nicest finished rods were done without the motor hand turning.buy the dryer if you plan on building a few rods.they help.i got mine new for under 20 bucks on ebay.it has worked well.it is a slower motor 4.8 rpm and the finish comes out much nicer on it,than it does on my faster pac bay rod machine dryer.now i need a 4 rod dryer..