Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry Mac

Question on Burs or fibers from metallic tread

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I Just wrapped a Lami 1502MH and completed my first coat of Flex coat. I am seeing several burs or small fibers sticking up and out of the finish. These are not thread ends and also are not dust, they appear to be fibers coming up off of some areas of the thread. The wraps are good and the varnish is clear and hard.

Can I use superfine paper or wool to get them out before applying another coat? confused.gif I have never used paper or wool and need

advise from someone who has.

Thanks in advance,

Terry Mac

If you are talking about just a few hairs the razor blade will work fine. If you shave off some of the epoxy, don't worry, the next coat will make the cut disappear. Just don't get too aggressive and cut into the thread wrap. And be sure that your hands are clean so as not to contaminate the surface or you'll have problems with the next coat. Best bet is to get this done within 72 hours of the first coat again to get the best stick between coats.

Steve

If there are a lot of them , maybe you just need another coat ? From my experience , it should only be like one or two bumps on a guide wrap at most. Usually (95% of the time) no snipping is needed at all. Anyway , don't go nuts with the blade or you'll end up with fisheyes all over the place on the next coat.