Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin1

Question about Installing a cork butt grip

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I am building my first rod and I was reading your "How To" at mudhole.com but I have at least one question before I start. Your article says when using a cork butt grip the cork inside diameter needs to be 1/4" smaller than the outside diameter of the blank. Does this mean that the cork blank should be 1/4" smaller over the entire length of the grip or 1/4" smaller at the end of the grip? I am just not sure when I ream the grip out to 1/4" smaller over the length of the grip that the grip will go all the way to the bottom when I install the grip for glueing. Thanks in advance.

Kevin I think you misread something. Cork doesn't stretch, you have to ream it a bit larger than the blank so there is room for the epoxy.

gad

When working with long pre-formed cork grips it is a bit hard to get a good, coencentric fit betwen grip and blank. 1/4 of an inch isn't that much (actually is only 1/8 all around), and once the epoxy is applied to teh blank is will lubricate and allow the grip to slide down.

I think the point of teh articles are to go very slow when reaming and constantly fit the grip to the blank. Remembe, you cannot put back what you've already taken off, so work slowly and carefully