Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MayorMcFish

fly rods and line weight

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have heard people talk about "overlining" their fly rod (e.g. 10wt line on a 9wt rod.)I'm guessing this slows the action of the rod and makes it easier to feel the rod load. If this is true, will underlining the rod give the opposite effect? I would like to speed up the action of my rod. Does this over under stuff make much difference and what are the pitfalls? I know this isn't rod building, but I figured a rod builder would know best. Thanks

Mayor Mac,

I also have heard of "overlining a rod". However, since a fly rod loads by both tip speed and line weight, I would be concerned that a lighter line would not load the rod enough to get maximum casting efficiency.

Since I am not a fly fisherman, I will defer to more knowledgable members of the Board.

Al

Overlining works but underlining doesn't. The rod never gets started. I've got a rod which I built back in '83 for a trip to Alaska. It was rated 8/9 so I got an eight for it. I never liked the rod. It never felt good. Turns out it was underlined.

Here's how I learned this. When I got into saltwater fly fishing I figured before I stripped the rod and turned it into something else I'd try different lines with it. So I went up to Ramsey and told the guys what I wanted to do and they were more than happy to go play with me. I tried several 9 and 10 weight rods and we compared them to mine with 9 and 10s on it. A few interesting things occurred. The rod is a 9/10 and handles both lines very well. Both the salesman and I loved the rod. In fact only one of the new rods did I like more and that was the Winston 10 wt.

The blank may have been an 8/9 but the way I wrapped it, I believe, probably stiffened it and changed its rating. I reinforced all ferrules (by wrapping them), and since its a 4 piece thats alot of stiffening and most likely is the reason the rod acts the way it does and requires greater load to function properly.