sizes would be for building the Breakaway

11'-9" 2 pc using a Abu 6500 reel? And

could I use the Fuji Alconite guides if I

intend to toss 6+bait with it? Your advice

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Joe,

I worked with Duckwump setting up the same rod. He used the SIC HNSG's but the hardaloy version, BHNLG, are fine. The alconites may be a little to light for this rod.

I will PM him so he can give you the final guide specs.

Al

I measured my 11'9". I have seven guides (HNSGs). They are: 12, 12, 12, 12, 16, 16, 20. The first six are spaced from the tip as follows: 6.5", 14", 23.5", 34.75", 47.75", and 62.50". The 20 is on the butt section and is placed 33" from the center of the reel. From reel to butt is 29". I recall landing a 45LB cow-nosed ray with the rod and did not have any problems with the line touching the blank with those spacings

I used SIC Heavy Duty Casting Guides (HNSG) at Al's suggestion and am happy with them. .A lot of casters in the NC area prefer lighter guides for surf rods so you might also consider NSGs as well if you think your client wants the lighter ones.

I have a trigger fuji reel seat. I think it is size 22. It will be the largest trigger reel seat that fuji makes. I have a UST guide for the tip. I think it is 12 ring diameter with a tube size of 9 or 10. I recall that I had trouble finding one. I remember getting it from Anglers Workshop.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Best of luck. Tom

You notice that I am referring to a "client" in my earlier post. That's because I copied it from an earlier email that I sent out to someone regarding the 11'9" specs.

Enjoy! smile.gif

Tom

I have not tried an Abu 7000 on the 11'9" but I am certain it would work. I have tried the Abu 6500, penn 525 mag, and daiwa shv20 and the 22 reel seat worked fine.

There is something magical about this rod when it is paired with a fast abu 6500 such as the sports rocket. It will cast a long, long, ways.

Tom

I use a Abu 7500C3CT on my 11'9" and it has a T-22 seat. Fits fine. You might want to go with a 25 or 30 mm stripper if you use a 7000/7500 size reel.

I'm pretty sure the 11'9" takes a size 10 tube tip. I bought mine finished, off the rack, at CMS Enterprises, so I'm not positive of the tip size. I have a 30 stripper and I think mine has 6 guides plus the tip. It's still a "custom" not a Breakaway factory job.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 12-20-2002).]

I'd go fuji hardloy BNLG 30 , 25 , 20 , 16 , 12 , 12 , 12 SiC tip (maybe another 12 guide depending on the butt lengh you choose) . I'd push the gathering guide way out (way , way out there). A 22 reel seat will certainly take a 7000 size abu. A 20 reel seat will take a 7000 size Abu. Give yourself a long butt section. That rod is a casting machine and you will need the butt length for the leverage to get it out there. I don't know your body size but soem of these rods have butts over 35 inches long. that will be a problem if your arms are short and you don't know how to handle it but it really helps casting distance to be able to spread your arms apart when using a conventional reel.