Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishTale

Calcutta Maintenance Tips

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al, I was hoping you could help out a bit. Bought my first Calcutta 250 and like it a lot. I have used Curados for years and was looking for a change.

The Calcutta seems solid and well built. It's spooled with 12# Big Game on a 6 1/2' medium St. Croix.

What can I expect for maintenance requirements? What parts are gonna wear out? It seems to have a one piece drag, is this ok or is there an upgrade?

I've read your posts regarding your 250 and wanted to get a power users input. Thanks, ft

FT,

It's coincidental the timeliness of your post. I was just getting all my Calcuttas ready for my first weekend coming up in Montauk.

The Calcuttas have a Dartanium drag which I leave to my reel maintenance friends to deal with during the off season or when I may have fished a reel too hard and in need of a drag replacement.

Here is what I do for simple maintenance.

After a day of saltwater fishing I tighten down the drag and lightly hose off both the rod and reel with freshwater at the dock.

When I get back to my room in Montauk or home, if it's a day trip, I gently wash off the reel with warm water and Joy dishwashing detergent and gently flush with warm water.

I towel dry ther reels, back off the drags and let them air dry overnight.

I lightly spray them with Superlube particularly into the reel gears and the levelwind mechanism. Let them sit overnight and wipe them down with a soft rag the next day.

A word of advice. If you are boat fishing with the reel keep it covered or protected from salt spray when the boat is moving. The salt spray will get into the reel mechanism and can really do some damage.

Have fun with it. they are great reels.

Al

The Calcutta 250's are built like any other baitcaster.

Stage 1: Rinse the salt off the reel

Stage 2: Take the sideplate off and clean the grunge out with Q-tips. Reassemble with the freespool button in the right place. Set the cast controls however you want.

Stage 3: Open up the sideplate, degrease with Q-tips and/or soaking in solvent. There is one drag washer, I don't think it is dartainium, it should be regreased with Shimano Drag Grease. For Oil use Reel-X or Speed-X. Do not oil the roller bearing.

Stage 4: Pull and degrease bearings and relube with Speed-X.

Stage 5: Disassemble the level-wind, clean, and lube.

Go as far as you feel comfortable going. Personally I would repeat a stage a couple times and establish a comfort level before moving forward.

Or just mail the reel to Shimano every year.

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 05-01-2002).]

Thanks guys. The nice part seems like their simplicity. Real easy to take down, not too many parts, a couple bearings, and only a few nooks and crannies. I'll take you drag advice and leave it to Shimano. Thanks again. ft

Just FYI if you are near Rockland County Community College there is a sportsman show every year in Suffern. Shimano will clean and grease your reel at the show.