Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paxfish

Rebuilding a hammered rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

So, My Father-In-Law has this old fiberglass rod he bought when he was a kid growing up in Orient, NY.

It's ugly brown fiberglass

It's 50 years old

The male fitting where the rod breaks is BROKEN OFF.

It has two guides left.

The tip is broken off

The grip is shot - It has two rings that guess slide up onto the reel foot to hold the reel on.

But - it has caught all the Atlantic inshore species over and over - 20 pound blues again and again, big stripers etc - it has sentimental value to him.

I'm considering redoing it for him - I'll post a picture or two...

Pax,

Orient has been a favorite fishing spot of mine for more than thirty years. I split my time between Montauk and Orient.

Sounds like you have a real antique. If you want to restore it and hang it on the wall that's probably doable. However, if you intend to try and fish with it I would have some concerns. The resin bonding the fiberglass cloth may have deteriorated making the probability of a break a distinct possibility.

Proceed with caution.

Al

Pax,

I redid an old classic for my friends grandfather, who's taken me fishing many times. The finish was flaking off and worn down to the raw glass in spots, but he loved that rod. So, I stripped it down, sanded it, refinished the blank and rewrapped the guides and he was happy it was usable again. He icon14.gif took it on our annual trip to Canada and put it back in the line up. It's not an easy job, an it's tough to restore it to perfection, but if you take your time and get it back together for him, it's better than giving someone a brand new fancy rod. He'll be the most satified customer you'll ever have.

So - I just saw the rod - supposedly it's an "HI" H something and Ibbotson?

Each cork ring spins freely - nice feature there. The reel seat is basically just a flat spot on the grip with a brass ring at the top and botton that slides over the reel foot.

Missing top 6 inches and missing the males fitting where it breaks in two. Two guides remaining.

Geesh.