Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

AllStar 1265 vs. 1565 or 1685

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

What's the difference between the more typical 10.5 ft vs. the longer 13' or 14'? I suppose the latter gives you more casting distance, but what are the overall tradeoffs? Has anybody got experience with both the shorter and one of the longer models?

haven't used the 13-14 breakaways, but have used a 12' conoflex nevada rated to 3 oz... To me, the drawback is in the retrieve only.. I got great distance with the rod, but just didn't feel like i had as much contact and control of the bait on the retrieve.. for fishing bait, i'd so go for the longer rod if the distance is necessary.. it works fine even if you are using it to smoke a metal for albies or blues, but for me i like to bump the metal across the bottom like a jig and i just never got used to the longer rod for that..

I have a 1565 built as a spinner. I general I fish plugs and rarely fish bait. I find that the longer length adds distance, makes the rod a little tip heavy and since the rod has more material it is just plain heavier than a smaller rod.

That said, I love using the 1565 for sending 1-3 oz plugs out to fish breaking at distance. I find that I use the 1565 in open sandy beach conditions more than rocky, jetty or small inlet situations where I prefer a stout 9-10 ft rod.

Those big rods are best fished from a sand spike. If the location and conditions demand it then you have got little choice. But you have got big trade offs in overall weight, balance, bite detection, hooksetting, and fish fighting to gain distance.

There are 11's you can fish all day, tossing big plugs and tin. They still have the power to get way out there and they won't leave you beat at the end of the day. On the other hand, if you really need the big rod go for it.

Steve