Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Best 10 foot canal jigging rod ever?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

I saw some blanks at the MSBA show (Big Dave showed it to me) that to my way of thinking will build into the best 10 foot canal jigging rods I've ever seen. Its called a Ziplex Sea Raider II. I will be getting one for myself for this season. It's rated 2 to 5 which I think looks very accurate (perfect for jigging the canal) and its light and extremely powerful. Its a two piece but the tip is longer than the butt section and it has an outstanding ferrel.. I honestly think it has the potential to outcast any other 10 foot rod I've seen in that weight class. Anyway , I'm sold on it just by the feel of the blank. I'm definitely switching to this blank for my rod for the canal this seasom. They aren't cheap but compared to some of the other fishing expenses like gas and jig money , etc , the cost of a great rod is negligible IMO. I'll build mine conventional with Fuji Hardloy guides and an SiC tip for a BG 7000CL and 50 LB spectron braid (until we can't get the spectron anymore).

There is also an 11 foot ziplex blank that is rated 1 to 3 but I think will easily handle 4. I think it will build into a nice beach rod.

Hey Salt... Guess who's got one of those blanks in transit right now HappyWave.gif . Big Dave showed one of those last fall and I knew I had to have one. Get yourself together with Dave. As you know, you couldn't deal with a better guy.

Saltheart,

A suggestion on that rod...

Switch to the Alconite guides.

They use a better grade of stainless and the ring is harder.

I think the braid will eventually groove the hardalloy (long time comming) and the cost increase is really minute! icon14.gif

thanks for the info. I'll check out alcomite but i'm a big hardloy fan. I have to comment though that i have fished hardloy guides using spectron for 7 years now under very heavy conditions (big fish in heavy canal current) and never grooved a Hardloy guide.

Good to know the Hardalloy is that braid resistant!

I switched to Sic long before we heard of braids so I can't be definitive as to durability. I find hardalloy to be too rough for my tastes, so I moved on. When I lived on Nantucket, we used to have custom rods and they had aluminum oxide ceramics for the last three guides and top.

We used to wear grooves in these things with mono and I was using Stren in 15 lb. I used to love the blue glow from that stuff rolleyes.gif

that searaider blank dave had came back with me to the outer banks. i cant wait to use it! it deserves sic guides and a killer weave! i will SD test it for optimal guide placement. if you need specs, let me know. i'll post a pic when im finished. nothin left to do but smile smile smile!

Be curious to see you details on building on that blank. My application will be for jigging the canal.. Cast and retrieve , cast and retrieve all night...primarily 3 to 5 OZ jigs. We use 50 LB spectron line and a 50-60 LB leader on an Abu BG7000CL reel. I think my build will be different than what you will do for an Outer Banks rod. Where you probably use much lighter running line and perhaps a smaller reel?

Mu initial thought are to use fuji BNLG guides , 30 , 25 , 20 , 16 , 12, 12 and a 16 or 12 Fuji SiC tip. depending on how it looks in the stress test , I may need a 7th guide.

Your right. I'll be using 14 lb. suffix and a 40 lb. shock.

As for guides, MNSG 25,20,16,12,10,10,10, and a MNST10 tip. A 6500ct I am building will go on the rod. this setup should give me maximum distance. Man this blank has a fast recovery rate!

Yes it has great recovery. Jim I did mine with hardloy BNLG guides 30,25,20,16,12,12,10. set my reel at 28 inches. Last year I fished it more than any other rod i own and caught a ton of bass with it. You will truly enjoy this stick for sure. It's that addicting. A real pleasure to cast all night without having to get tired trying to bend pool cues. incrediable backbone. and a tip that stands up to the tide but gives into fish. Regards Big Dave

.......and I thought my all star 1209 was the perfect ditch rod wink.gif

I'll be cwm15.gif this thread closely. This rod sounds too good to be true.

And it is a 2 piece? That makes me a little nervous, but maybe it isn't such a big deal.

Keep us updated saltheart.

Stroth