Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Shore Tuna Casting Stick?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Al,

This is a tuffy, almost defies common sense.

Say you found a spot near shore that happens to have runs of 100 lb. + bluefin.

Say you want to be silly enough to try to cast a diamond jig to one of these fish, because the fish break within casting distance.

Say you're gonna use a big conventional reel with line capacity that can cast well, maybe a Shimano Trinidad 30 or so. Or Newell 4 series. Loaded with 50-65 lb. braid.

What kind of rod blank would you recommend? Would the Allstar 1209 come close?

-FWW

------------------

fww.gif

The Pause That Refreshes

FWW,

You like to live dangerously.

That actually happened several years ago in Montauk. A guy way casting metal and hooked and landed a 75# yellowfin. Two years ago I tangled with a school of football bluefins about 1/4 mile off the beach on the southside of Montauk. These fish were 15-30 lbs and were smoking a Newell 220 with 30# Power Pro.

There are several nine foot composites I can recommend for this.

Al

Actually, I saw bluefin free jumping in Fire Island Inlet once, years ago. Couldn't reach them with a Penn 750 on a decent spin stick, and would've gotten spooled fast if I had - they were 50-75 lb fish. But that's why I mostly fish with conventional gear.... to have that chance ..... you can get 300 yards of 65 lb Whiplash on a Mag 525 and the reel has enough drag to use it ..... a'course, by the time you're down to the bottom of your spool, you better be tied to the end of your truck.

WeeWee and Gang,

6 days ago I nailed two bluefin tuna in the 135 & 125 lbs. (Cape May) and those bastages smoked my reel (450 yards of 50 lbs. test within 2 minutes and the brutal fight took over 45 + minutes) via boat. My arms, back and legs are still shaken from the fierce power! biggrin.gif

WeeWee... I know where you are going and I am not sure you can handle it... but whatever you do - Increase your life insurance cause your wifey will need it! wink.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

Crazy Al,

How big are the bruises on your thigh's? I can see you were using stand up (450-50). Only hooked one once and was humbled very quickly. I want to do that again but this time I want to have a real chance.

Mike

Crazy Al,

How big are the bruises on your thigh's? I can see you were using stand up (450-50). Only hooked one once and was humbled very quickly. I want to do that again but this time I want to have a real chance.

Mike

Hi Jeepster,

I know what you mean about being humbled very quickly! wink.gif Those Bluefin tuna are very abusive to the body! On that trip we had two 6 ft. + athletes and they gave up within 15 minutes on stand up outfits and called it the day. biggrin.gif

I told them that muscles is just part of the game... but it's all about "technique" and "pressuring" the fish at the right time. wink.gif

That bluefin tuna that you saw was an easy 135 lbs., which was culled in 35 minutes. There were other fish that pushed my limits and after a gruesome 45-minute battle... the 80-lbs. test leader snapped. frown.gif

You will probably be reading about that in a Sept. Saltwater Sportsman article by Gary Caputi. wink.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

I have a guy here at work that thinks it's all about muscle's and he would be able to whup up on a tuna in minute's biggrin.gif I said fine I'll pay your charter to see you hook into a 125lb bigeye and see you whup him in 10 minutes he still has yet to take me up on my offer after I showed him pictures of before and after of one trip I went on biggrin.gif

Mike