Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John D

changing from a cork grip to a foam grip?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have the 6'6" St. Croix Premier rated for 15-30# musky/casting rod with cork grip. This rod gets heavy saltwater use and I want to change the rotting cork grip to foam. Any guesstimates on the cost of such a switch, assuming this is feasible?

Thanks

John D

saltline1@aol.com

John,

To replace the rear grip is relatively easy, however to replace the foregrip will require that the guides be stripped off and rewound. This could be costly since there is alot of labor involved.

Al

John, as Al said, it would be a maor project to re-do the fore grip on that rod. If you really wanted a new grip, you could always try cork taping it...Just a thoughtbiggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. I guess the cork tape could be picked up at a home depot? A few areas on the cork handle have really started to rot out. Not sure how to "fill up" those areas with "new" cork.

John D

I think there is a simple solution to your question/problem. There is a product called quick grip. This grip materal can be applied over your existing cork fore and butt grip and would combine the sensativity of cork with a feel of foam. The only tool you would need is a heat gun which you could buy at home depot for less than the cost of a builder making the repair. I purchase the materal from fishinfin-addict (mail order) call them at 800-673-3474 ask for cris he is a builder and can walk you thru process. Before i would apply quick grip i would chip away loose pieces of cork and fill these gaps or holes with a slow curing epoxy (u-40 rod bond or pc7). again cris can walk you thru this. Stay away from home depot cork grip since it's not made for salt water use and will give you more problems than you now have. The total cost of the job without the cost of the heat gun should be somewhere around $20-$25 good luck

Hehehehe....

the word "longtime" rather than old

Good point Izzy smile.gif Welcome Izzy, Al's longtime friend wink.gif Any friend of Al's, no matter how old, is a welcome guest here smile.gif

JohnD, why not just strip off the cork, slit a foam grip, slap some epoxy on the blank, and slip the grip on? You can put a lil' Zap-A-Gap inside the slit before the epoxy hardens to make it look neat. No, it won't be a professional job, but it won't look bad and will be fully functional smile.gif Just a thoughticon15.gif

TimS

Tim,

I've done what you've suggested with cork foregrips as well. Carefully cut the cork grip in half with an extremely sharp razor blade, shape to fit the blank, glue into place with 2-ton epoxy, and then sand down with fine grit sandpaper until smooth to the touch. And no, it doesn't look professional, but it is functional. Personally, I like the feel of cork on foregrips much better than foam. I think cork provides better sensitivity.