Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finally

Stuart tuff butt

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Has anybody ever used one of these in making a stand-up rod? I just bought one and was wondering if I should use the Rod Bond to glue the nylon butt and gimbal to the aluminum butt?

I just finished a 20# trolling rod with a tuff butt. I used 5-minute epoxy to attach the nylon sleeve and the gimbal, worked fine.

Personaly, I wouldn't use a five minute epoxy to glue it up. I would use a slow cure epoxy, because the five minute stuff gets brittle when it sets up. Rod Bond or PC7 should work fine

I just finished a 20# trolling rod with a tuff butt. I used 5-minute epoxy to attach the nylon sleeve and the gimbal, worked fine.

eek.gif

Sorry to be a buzz kill, but 5 min is not the best stuff for the job (not enough strength) but might be fine on a 20lb for a while. Rod bond will be fine. icon14.gif

I know about 5-minute's limitations, but attaching the plasitc sleeve and gimbal to the aluminum butt shouldn't require more than 5-minute right?

If it gets to hot in the sun the 5 minuite will loosen. Some people attach tips to rods because a little heat and a tip can be changed hopefully you didn't put the reel seat on with it