Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

How far should an overwrap extend beyond the guide foot?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone provide a good rule of thumb with this? I am building a conventional surf rod almost 12 feet long with HNSGs 20, 16, and 12s.

I need to know this so that I can plan my trim wraps better (they will be part of the under wrap).

Thanks.

Tom

I usually make the under wrap about 3/4" longer than the guide foot. This gives you about 3/8" on each side. Start your overwrap about 1/8" from the tip if the guide foot and wrap foot. After that do another trim band before your over wrap of about 1/8" this leaves about 1/8" of your underwrap for your final trim band. If you only want one trim band (your underwrap) then only do 1/2" longer underwrap, this will give you 1/4 on each side...1/8" left exposed after wrapping your feet. Some guys do more but I like to keep the guide wrappings as small as possible to reduce weight. You can also devide everything by 2 and do 1/16" trim bands.

Hope this helps, Gary

It's usually just a preference, but I like to put the guide foot on the mark of where the center guide should go, and mark it. Then do the same to the other side, and then you have the same amount of space on both sides.

Tom - are you using single opr double foot guides? If double be aware that the feet ar different lengths. This will throw off a trim band under the guide ring if you aren't careful. After you do an underwrap place the guide on it to see if the center band is where you want it. Then look at the amount of underwrap extending off of the feet. This may or may not happen, but you will have a longer wrap on one of the feet. Just check before you apply the first coat of epoxy over the underwrap.

Billy