Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gonefishing

Noise from guides

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

My Lami GLB901M started to make a humming/groaning noise this year and it sounds like it is coming from the guides. They are all Fuji high frames and the noise sounds like it is coming mostly from the gathering guide (30mm) but only when fighting a fish. I am using the same Hi-Seas Quattro line that I have been for the last five years. Although it is the first year I have my VS100 mounted to it, when the rod was built, it was built with specs using a Penn 450. Could it be that the VS has a different mounting angle than the Penn causing this?

------------------

SOL #860

Share what you know

Learn what you don't

GF,

You maybe on the right track. First I would recommend you try this test. Switch the reel back to the original Penn and fish it for a day. Determine if the noise stops. Then switch back to the VS.

If the noise returns then it's probably the guide placement of the stripper guide. If that is the problem than I would try moving the stripper guide until the noise stops. Once you have the stripper guide in the correct position you will probably need to strip off and rewrap the remaining guides for maximum casting performance.

Please let me know how you make out.

Al

I put the Penn back on and no noise! I guess that Lami is stuck with the Penn and I'll get another stick built for the VS. Thanks Al.

------------------

SOL #860

Share what you know

Learn what you don't