Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
East Tide

1'st guide on 9.5' Sabre 1208

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi Al, I have used various methods to figure out the distance from reel seat to first guide would like to know what you would do. I am wrapping a 9.5 foot Sabre 1208 to be used with a Penn 975. Personally I would measure 21.5" from the front of the reel seat (where it meets the tape.) What would you use? I appreciate the help...

SS,

I believe the 1208 has a pretty firm butt end and is rated from 1-3 ounces. Using a #20 Fuji NSG or HNSG as my stripper guide I would position the guide approximately 25-26 inches from the center of the reelseat. If you choose a #25 stripper guide then you can go 28-30 inches.

Al

Al

Paniolo, I trim the from the tip. The blank seems very fast and too flimsy if I don't.

Al, Just curious. I have used the height and width of the spool as a guide. What can you determine by the stiffness is the butt section? It is a super stiff butt (as you probably know from exp) and bends mostly in the top 1/3 of the blank. I had planned on using a # 25-20-20-16-16-16 size 16 oversize tip. Is there any reason not to do this? I plan on using this for the heavier end of the blanks limit. i have a lighter weight 9' rod that has smaller guides which I use lighter line and lures with. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

SS,

I would not trim too much off the tip or you will have a club. I would only go up one tip size at the most. I do not have the blank specs available. However, let's say it comes with a #10 tip, then only go up to a #11 or #12. Trim nore more than 2 inches from the tip.

As far as guides then, I would go with 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10 and a tip with a #10 ring. Use the HNSG or the BHNLG Fuji's with a UST SIC tip.

Position the stripper guide 28 inches from the center of the reelseat and the first #10 guide about 5 inches from the tip top. Space the remaining guides in 3/4 inch increasing increments moving towards the stripper.

Tape the guides in place and do a stress distribution test. Adjust the guide positions as necessary and mark their positions.

Tell me more Al. I don't understand the reason for using the smaller guides, not that I disagree I'm just curious as to why? I've already cut the tip back 6" to 9'6" #16. frown.gif I guess I can't change that but how bout telling me about the smaller guides? Thanks again.

If you already cut the tip then it's a moot point. The closest guides toward the tip should match the ring size of the tip top.

You really do not want to overload the tip with the weight of the larger guides since it will hamper casting performance.

Sounds like you are building yourself a good "8 and Bait" stick.

Now it makes sense. Al, no bait fishing here. smile.gif I use these heavier sticks for jigging the canal and throwing bigger plugs. Very seldomly do I wish I was using a softer stick. I have my 10' glass lami 3M to use with pencils. Thanks again for the advice. Roy Brauer gave me the same as you did a year ago, so if it's coming from two guys like you, I know I am doing it wrong frown.gif Well, Just have to wrap another one when this is done smile.gif

SS,

Roy and I are close personal friends. When I worked up in Mass my office was close to his original shop in Franklin. I exchanged trade secrets with Roy and his two sons, Chris and Johan. We spent many an evening debating different rodbuilding ideas.

I was sorry to hear of Roy's illness. I hope he is doing better.

Al, I was much better friends with Chris than Roy or Johan. I used to see Roy quite a bit last summer before Chris sold the shop in Norfolk. It was a real shame but he was really burning both ends of the candle with that and auto body work. I tried but could never get in touch with him this year through Johan. I guess he was wrangling pogies every now and then but I never could hook up. It's a tough business. I didn't see Roy at all this past season but hope he is doing well. Very smart man. They taught me alot about fishing the ditch. Thanks again.