Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Red Beard the Pirate

Wrapping thread advise wanted

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm building a Rainshadow SU1418 for my son. It's going to be a spinner. I had planned on using all metallic thread. Silver underwrap (A) and red overwrap (D). (I'm doing an American flag butt wrap too.) Someone suggested the metallic as an overwrap is a bad idea as it's not too strong and the guides may break off. Any suggestions or experience out there? Thanks in advance.

HT is prolly plenty strong but size A plain nylon(scarlet) without CP goes translucent over silver and is a much nicer look IMHO.

Do a test on a dowel or scrap.

gad

I have used Metallic HT on aynthing from porgy rods to tuna rods with no problem. Capt. Neil uses it exclusively and that in itself is enough for me to believe in it.

I would not use any metallic to hold the guides on. Do as suggested , wrap with nylon , a coat of finish , then over that the nylon and finish.

Missed this the first time.

Salt - HT is actually stronger than Nylon with the same size diameter. If strength is what someone wants, HT is a better choice than Nylon.

IMO - I don't like how the epoxy cannot soak into the tunnels with HT. I know with Nylon there is a complete block of epoxy surreounding the entire guide foot, but even with HT I don't see any problems. As Justin pointed out, Capt. Neil ONLY uses HT on his rods.

Do as suggested , wrap with nylon , a coat of finish , then over that the metallic and finish.

What is the problem using HT metallic on a guide? Did you have a failure with it?

PS: If he does as suggested on this thread, he would use HT on the guide since 5 guys suggested that be what he use. Whoever initially suggested that metallic threads are not strong enough for guide wraps is flat out wrong and doesn't know what they are talking about.

Here's my thought process. You are building the rod , you get to do what you want.

I don't care what the tensile strength is of the HT Metallic thread. Tensile strength is only half the story in a composite. The bond between the metallic coating and the inner fibers is not strong. The metallic coatings are not well adhered to the fiber cores. Therefore the epoxy coating is not well adhered to the the "fibers" in the "Fiber Reinforced Composite" that results.

My judgement tells me that the composite that results from wrapping a guide with metallic thread and coating with a flexible epoxy coating is not something I want on my rods.

God bless anyone who does it that way. Its their build , they can do what they want.

Thanks to all who answered. I did wrap it with metallic silver HT underwrap and metallic red HT overwrap. I put one coat of FlexCoat on the underwraps before overwrapping. Was out to Montauk 2 weeks ago and was catching 28"-32" blues all evening. I didn't encounter any problems. Actually, after I wrapped the rod I gave it the "Gorilla test" and tried to pull and twist off one of the guides. It didn't budge. Thanks again guys.

Would not advise useing matalic thread, when it comes to securing guide feet. especially upon those guides in the critical stress areas. Try useing it as decorative between the guide feet.