Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
t58martin

Surf Rod Grips

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I've been researching rod building in preperation to actually doing it. For surf rods that I own, most have either cork tape or foam grips. These go from the reel seat all the way down to the end, and a small section above the reel seat. I came upon the following picture on another reel building web site. Most of these rods in the picture are done with two part grips. Is this a West coast thing? I know there is no single best way, but what are your preferences for fishing? The first rod I'm going to attempt will be for chunkin. Also, I've seen some nice looking rods built with 'baseball bat' tape instead of cork. Which should stand up better to time and wear? Any advice is appreciated.

pierrods_edited.JPG

Not a "West Coast thing" at all. Most guys call those "split grips" and they're common as can be on surf rods everywhere. Surprised you haven't noticed them before; many factory rods and lotsa customs have gone with that setup although cork tape has sorta become the material of choice more recently. Years past it was only on custom rods that you'd see cork tape, never on factory made stuff. St. Croix started doing it on their Ben Doer series and Lami got into it about the same time. Now the stuff is everywhere. Life must be good for the cork tape manufacturers.

For some reason all of these rods with split grips in one place kinda struck me. I'm sure I've seen a bunch of em without much notice.

Between my son's and I we have about 9-10 surf rods, mostly inexpensive. Almost all of these have foam grips,I have a couple of Tica's and one RS custom with cork tape. None are split.

My freshwater gear have shaped cork mostly. I'm getting blown away by the art some folks incorporate into thier rods. My first ones are gonna be all about function first. Maybe after I get a few done I'll think about makin em fancy.

If you use sand spikes, go with cork the whole length or shrink tubing. I use the shrink on surf rods with 50# to 100# mono wrapped in a diamond pattern under it..looks and feels great. mudhole has it.

2ct.

on my 9 ft plug rod I tried out 3 M Grip tape 1 inch wide it's the Rubber faced tape NOT the Sand paper tape. Has self adhesive back put on just like cork tape. after using it for awile I think I should have used a Layer of Cork tape under it a little skinny for my Big hands.

Feels Great!

I was going to start this exact same thread myself because I've been seeing a lot more of these split grips on customs lately and like the look. More importantly, I've had a problem with my grip tape down around the butt getting trashed and think a nice hunk of shaped EVA down there would work way better. Will post some pics when the next one's finished.

Most surf and pier rods in the 70's were like that. Was very popular at Long Branch Pier, decorative wraps were done in between the grips. Allot of those came out of Steven's Bait and Tackle. Neo cork grips were the thing prior to hypolon,cork tape came later. I guess they are making a come back. Note the picture was taken on a pier.

"European grips" not split grips, was a term I once heard or read about. Best part about this set up these days, is that its easier on the wallet. Especially if your building a surf plugging rod, that'll spend more time in your hand, and not in a sand spike, leaned against a pier rail, or jammed in the rocks

If you like to plug the beach...like the feel of cork (but on a budget)... split cork grips are probablly the way to go.

I'd venture to quess the "split grip" was developed by some manufacturer or someone in the

past...that was running low on EVA,Cork, or Hypalon...and was coming out with a new "series".

Do what feels right for you.

Once you've got something comfortable for your hands, that's really all you need. When you get right down to it, other than giving the rod a "normal" look, there's not even any need for a grip just below the reel seat on big spinning rod; the butt grip and foregrip are you'll ever use when fishing.