Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishSticks

First baitcaster for surf casting?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for advice on my first baitcasting set-up. I really like the custom "tricked out" ABU's (I have had a chance to play with one, and would like to go with a 10' or under rod. I will be throwing 2oz jigs and I only need to toss them about 100 yards. what do you suggest? Also, I use whiplash for my spinning reels, should I ues braid with a baitcaster?

If you want to go the custom route then here are some blanks to consider:

Lami - XRA1204, GBB1201L, GSB1081M

I am sure other members will add to few to the list.

FishSticks,

I use a custom wrapped GSB120 1L with an Abu 6500 C3 with 50# Whiplash and I am the envy of all my friends. wink.gif Honestly, it is a sweet combo and will handle 2ozs. nicely. smile.gif I have never used a 1204 but have heard nothing but good things about them though, being and Arra model, it will cost ya a little more. smile.gif

luke

Fishsticks...

Built a Breakaway 1265/2 (10.5') conventional over the winter for the circumstances you describe. Sweet rod at casting 2 oz. Use it with tweaked-up 6500s, which will hold a full 300 yd spool of 50# whiplash. Took me quite a while to wipe Bassmaster's drool off of it.... biggrin.gif

--OJ

[Oooops....shoulda written Allstar 1265/2, not Breakaway. My mistake. Sorry. --OJ]

[This message has been edited by OldJohn (edited 05-31-2002).]

Al---it's a tough choice. If I could only have one rod, I'd go with the more versatile 120 1L. But since I'm not (fortunately wink.gif) in that dilemma, the 1204 is a joy to cast and fights a fish as well as any rod I ever used.