Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

another 7wt question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

AL, BTW I am coming feb 9th.

now to my question. I want a 10 ft 7 wt. I saw the post about a 7wt you gave an economy price and an upscale price. can you give me an idea of the price of both of those???

does a 7wt come in a 10 ft length??

I need 10 ft for steelhead fishing.

PS-> those blanks are coming along very nicely. the sweetest of which is that arra 1204. man thats a beauty...

im working on the heaver as we speak!!

thanks,

dave

Dave,

I believe I was talking about the guides and reelseat. The blank is another question. However, here is a good price range:

Best - Loomis, Scott or Sage blank, SIC fly guides, flor cork grip and Struble or Bellinger seat.

Estimated total cost $500-600

You could probably put together an excellent rod for much less. Say $250 for good components.

Al

BC,

There is a number of inexpensive flyrod blanks around that are exceptional quality for the money. Most flyfishing gear has a huge yuppy tax on it. Bob Batson of Rainshadow is putting out some fly blanks for less than $100, that even the elitist flyfisherman are raving about. For steelheading, you want to stay away from high modulus, thin walled blanks. They tend to break more often in the sub zero steelhead temps. Batson makes an IM6 10' 7 wt. in 2piece that cost $45. In 3 piece it's $60. Then you can goto an IM8 10' 7wt, 2 piece for $100. A fuji seat, oversized snakes and a grip will cost you another $30.

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 01-11-2002).]

Oz,

Thank you, I also found your post helpful, I fish steelhead as well. I've had first hand experience with graphite and subzero weather. That Batson 2 piece IM6 sounds sweet. For that type of fishing I like a slower taper for "Shock absorbing" when using those real light leaders. Do you know if this blank is slower or softer than Sage.If not what would be your choice?

Thanks

Frank