Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

What kind of grip is this?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was in a Bass Pro Shop in Orlando and I saw a surf rod with a hypalon like grip. What was different about it was that it was fairly thin but had a soft, raised spiral ridge running all the way down.

A year later and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't buy it.

I've got a rod I'd like to use this on but I've searched up and down the net and can't find it. If I could find the name of this material I might have more luck.

------------------

"If you liked your job as much as you like fishing, we'd be millionaires." - My Wife

You canmake something like this yourself, although I haven't done so myself. Take heavy twine and wrap it aroundthe grip. Sand it, then remove the twine. Where the twine was, will raise back up. If I were to do this, I'd expect to waste at least one or 2 grips in the process. I'd also have the grip sanded down almost to where it's finsihed, then do my final sanding with the twine.

This is my best guess. I also wouldn't call it Tickle Grip, since that sounds not too masculine. GW, how'd you remember the name?

I also wouldn't call it Tickle Grip, since that sounds not too masculine. GW, how'd you remember the name?

Do we really want the answer to this? cwm13.gif

------------------

"If you liked your job as much as you like fishing, we'd be millionaires." - My Wife

Sudsy, what you saw was a medium thick EVA tapelike product (a "hypalon" type material) applied to the blank in an open spiral pattern. It was standard issue - and exclusive to - the older style of Offshore Angler (Bass Pro Shops) "Ocean Master" surf rods. Quite honestly, between its strange look and asymetrical "feel", most people thought it was an idea who's time should never have come. Ocean Master finally ditched it a year or two ago in favor of a more conventional cork tape grip.

Too bad, I really liked the way it fit my hand. Now I'm really bent out of shape that I didn't buy that rod.

I don't remember it being a BPS brand though ??? It was something I'd never heard of before.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sudsy (edited 01-04-2003).]