Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottO

Kayak Casting rod blank

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I need some advice. I do a lot of my fishing from a kayak, and love a 9 foot 1-4 oz rod. I;ve got a friend who is interested in tying a new one up for me, and was wondering if you could recommend a blank in the area. Any Lami's? Rainshadow?

I want a cork taped grip about 12-14 inches long, the reel seat and maybe a fore grip on it. Then the usual in guides. Thanks for your advice. Scott

Scott,

As usual, it's personal preference. 90% of my kayak rods are 7'. The biggest I'd use is an 8'. My new favorite is a Lami GLB901M. In Rainshadow, try the SW70M for a 7'. I also her great things about the Rainshadsow SWS696, which is 7'10", though that is one I don't own. If you want a 9', try a Rainshadow SUR 1087 for lighter stuff and a 1088 for heavier.

Saltheart, I will second That...the XRA 1084 9'one piece blank or the XSRA 1084 9'Finish Factory Rod would be an excellent choice.I love my 1084 because it can be so versatile....casting lighter lures, 7/8 oz Habs Popper very well employing a long drop and surprisingly will also handle a 3 1/4oz Gibbs Polaris with little effort, sending it a long ways out.I am using the VS 200 with 30# Power Pro Braid on the 1084.This rod certainly fills the needed void in the XRA series.

1084 is a good rod, but not for a kayak. Kayak rods require a shorter than usual butt(12-14"). A factory 9' surf stick is near useless on a yak. If you like a long rod try an 8' and size your butt by sitting on the floor(kayak position) and taking practice casts.