Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianV

spiral wraps?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

At the risk of sounding dumb, what are spiral wraps, how are they different from "regular" wraps?I'm putting together a rod built on a calstar graphiter blank that will be used for jigging the race off Niantic and would maybe like to give em' a try.

Brian,

Spriral wraps are a way of transitioning the guides on a casting rod from the top of the blank to the bottom of the blank as with a spinning set up. The reason why people do this is to produce a more stable rod. It should take between 4 and 5 guides to make the 180 degree transition. The key here is to produce the straightest line around the blank that you can. RodMaker magazine had a great article in their Sept/Oct 2000 issue Vol.#3, Number 5. I am just starting wrapping one myself from a St Croix. Good choice in set-up, people swear by them and their performance.

------------------

Brian,

A spiral wrapped rod is a conventional rod where the stripper guide and the next 2-3 guides are rotated around the blank from their traditional positions with the remaining guides and tip top 180 degrees opposite to the position of the spine and reelseat.

This type of wrap adds a tremendous amount of stability and fish-fighting capability to the rod. It would be a perfect application for a rod to fish the Race.

Here are the general guidelines to lay out the wrap. The rotation will be counter clockwise using 0 degrees as the spine and the starting point.

Stripper guide - 315 degrees

2nd guide - 270 degrees

3rd guide - 225 degrees

4th guide - 180 degrees

Remaining guides and tip are at 180 degrees.

For a typically "Race Rod" of 6.5-7 feet long here is what I use for guide sizes using Fuji HNSG or BHNLG:

20,16,16,12,12,10,10,10 plus a tip.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 04-13-2002).]

Al, when you say the rotation of the guides will be counterclockwise, is that looking at the rod from the butt, or the tip? Boy, it sounds like this rod will look rather odd, but hey, I'm always willing to learn new things. Thanks for the advice.

Ragged - I used a BHVLG size 20 on the 700L. I was playing around and was wondering what advantage/disadvantage I would have if I used this hi-frame surf guide. I was thinking I needed to keep the line off of the foregrip because the line is going from top of the rod to the bottom (0 to 180 degrees), but when I build another rod like this I would use a regular size 20 guide.

The rest of the guides are BNLGH (or BHNLG's, the ones that are not heavy framed) Size 12, 10, 10, and 8's out to the tip.

On the 700XL, I used a size 20 GVLG guide, then used regular GNLG guide for the rest of the rod (size 12, 2 10's, and the rest 8's out to the tip)

My reason for mixing/matching is this, I want to keep the line off of the foregrip when fighting a fish. When i tested various guide combo's, I settled on using the GVLG for teh stripper, and GNLG for the rest. I also find going from a 20 to a 12 allows me to keep the line shooting straight from the reel to tip.

One other note - casting distance is not affected one bit with these rods, which is very important with both of these rods which I use for jigging Bass/Blues.

If you are interested in more info about how I set these rods up, I have posted a couple of threads here - search for "Spiral".

BIlly

Brian,

I like to rotate my guides counterclockwise looking from the butt down to the tip. The rotation is to the opposite side of the reel handle.

For your jigging rod I would recommend the Fuji HNSG or BHNLG in the size previously listed.

Al