Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander1

2 piece outta 1 piece?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

As of today, I own no 2 piece surf rods. I do have a hardly used custom Batson Rainshadow 1088 spinning outfit that I'd like to consider chopping into 2 pieces. Is it possible/recommended to do so or should I just look around for a 2 piece stick. Something in the back of my mind tells me you can't cut em' in half because you lose the action, perhaps it could be cut before the first guide? I've always preffered one piece but I'd like to have something I can travel with, with gas prices staying through the roof, I might be considering an economical ride for road trips, something like my daughters Toyota Corolla whilst shes away at school. Any help is appreciated and don't tell my daughter her car is going fishing.

It can be done and it will change the action a bit. If the builder does not really know what he's doing you'll end up with crap.

I would put the money that you would have spent modifying your rod towards one of the inexpensive two pc rods (designed as a 2 pc) for use during road trips and small car use.

There is a great article in Rodmaker MAgazine on how to do this. I have not read that particular issue and have never made any 2-piece rods y cuttign the blank, so I'm of no help. The one thing I would like to learn in Charlotte is how to to just this, as I would LOVE to make a few 2 & 3 piece heavier bottom fishing rods for travel.

I wouldn't experiment on xpensive blanks, adn I wouldnt' let any Rodbuilder learn on one of my own rods. I would want to see other rods the builder has done which are as heavy or light as teh blank you want cut up - this way you know it will take teh abuse and not crack.

Bad Idea

Not only will you ruin a good stick attempting to make something else out of it. You may end up not liking what you end up with. Then you dont have either rod. A 1088 2 piece is about 65 bucks for the blank if you shop around. Why take the chance for that price. Just my HO Cheers Big Dave

Not a real big deal. I've done it on a dozen or so rods and they still work. If you're looking for something to take on vacation, go buy a cheap 2pc. cause once you chop it, it's chopped. I've ended up owning a few nice older Lamiglas rods that customers brought in to have chopped. I gave them the choice of choosing any 2pc. rod I had in stock and traded them rather than butcher a fine 1pc. rod.

If you really wanna do it, the two most important things are: 1. try to cut it back far enough away from the action so that you're not killing the action of the rod.

2. Make sure your cut is real straight and the ferrule is the right size and aligned carefully so the rod is still nice and straight when you're done. I just did an old Lamiglas for a customer a couple days ago. He wanted the old style chrome plated brass ferrule. Came out pretty good, although there are nicer aluminum ferrules out now with a tighter fit & rubber O rings.

ferrule.jpg